Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So what features would people like to see added to the R5 either via firmware update or a new R5 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.

Greg - the R5 already has a level, it's not the same display style as on the M6 (The EOS R uses the same display style as the M6 though). You set it up through the Shoot7 menu Shooting info. disp. options and then when shooting you can use the info button to cycle through the different screen configs to display it.
Thanks for the information. I'll try it later.

So what features would people like to see added to the R5 either via firmware update or a new R5 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.
need an additional AF point...a larger zone (entire sensor) for birds in flight...

Tim
I would love to have the user defined Quick Menu screen as in the 5D iv. I found this was brilliant for quickly checking and changing the shooting parameters that I used a lot as they were all in one place.

That exists. I have a view that includes all the settings that have been selected. It rotates on my settings with other views. I'll explain later how to get at it when I have the camera with me

That exists. I have a view that includes all the settings that have been selected. It rotates on my settings with other views. I'll explain later how to get at it when I have the camera with me
I'd be really interested in seeing how this is done. I use My Menu but have run out of space. I mainly take photos.

I'd be really interested in seeing how this is done. I use My Menu but have run out of space. I mainly take photos.
Put the camera on P, as an example.
Press MENU
Refer to page 263 in the Advanced Users Guide
On one of the 6 different screen views it is possible to set the Quick view
Close all the menu
Press the info button to scroll through the screen views you have just set.
Somewhere it is possible to set what you see in the Quick View which is one of the screen views
With 919 pages in the guide you will find all the permutations, even though the guide is not particularly friendly.

I'd like a faster start up from turning the camera on or waking it up to the time it actually takes a photo. It was instantaneous on my previous DSLR's but I have lost quite a few shots with the R5 in what seems an age before it's ready to shoot. You could programme the camera to stay awake all the time but battery drain is a consideration and I would think it could be fixed with a firmware update.
I'd also like to see the auto focus working better for those confused backgrounds, small bird in a bush scenarios. Again my DSLRs never had the problem of locking focus using single point but the R5 does.
I love the silent electronic shutter but it would be nice to control the number of shots it takes, and for those that want it although I'm not sure why, the ability to make a sound when firing the camera could be an easy fix. I believe Sony have it in their cameras.
Other than that, the obvious would be better high ISO performance with less noise but overall I think the R5 is an outstanding camera for the money.

I'd like a faster start up from turning the camera on or waking it up to the time it actually takes a photo. It was instantaneous on my previous DSLR's but I have lost quite a few shots with the R5 in what seems an age before it's ready to shoot. You could programme the camera to stay awake all the time but battery drain is a consideration and I would think it could be fixed with a firmware update.
I'd also like to see the auto focus working better for those confused backgrounds, small bird in a bush scenarios. Again my DSLRs never had the problem of locking focus using single point but the R5 does.
I love the silent electronic shutter but it would be nice to control the number of shots it takes, and for those that want it although I'm not sure why, the ability to make a sound when firing the camera could be an easy fix. I believe Sony have it in their cameras.
Other than that, the obvious would be better high ISO performance with less noise but overall I think the R5 is an outstanding camera for the money.
No issues with start up on my R5, either from cold or from standby. A significant factor in the start up time is getting the file system going on the memory cards. I use Angelbird cf express cards and they updated their on-card firmware which made a huge difference to start up from 4 or 5 seconds to less than a second. May be worth investigating?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back