Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So what features would people like to see added to the R5 either via firmware update or a new R5 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.

No issues with start up on my R5, either from cold or from standby. A significant factor in the start up time is getting the file system going on the memory cards. I use Angelbird cf express cards and they updated their on-card firmware which made a huge difference to start up from 4 or 5 seconds to less than a second. May be worth investigating?
Can the memory card have any effect on start up time? It's surely the camera itself that takes time to allow autofocus to work before you can take a shot?

No issues with start up on my R5, either from cold or from standby. A significant factor in the start up time is getting the file system going on the memory cards. I use Angelbird cf express cards and they updated their on-card firmware which made a huge difference to start up from 4 or 5 seconds to less than a second. May be worth investigating?
I have a TOUGH CFexpress 128gb. No problems with start up. Seems the R5 needs a very fast card.

When I researched for my card it cannot be relied that the same card performed the same for different capacities. The TOUGH 64gb card was slower.

I cannot be sure of the facts, the bigger card has more faster short term memory compared to the smaller card. I think I have that info correct
Can the memory card have any effect on start up time? It's surely the camera itself that takes time to allow autofocus to work before you can take a shot?
You are probably correct. Read/write times are effected by the speed of the card. Experiment starting up with and without the card inserted see what happens

Yes it does. The card has it's own operating/file system that has to be initialised, and this can take some time if not optimised. As I mentioned Angelbird CF Express cards had a poor start-up time in the C5 initially and they changed their firmware on their cards (not the camera firmware) and this made a major change to file system initialisation and therefore camera start-up. Other CF Express cards may have similar performance impact on camera start-up times and so it is worth checking if there are any other manufactures provide card firmware (not camera) updates to improve this. Or, if you have the chance, try with different CF Express brands - to see if there is any difference in start-up.

I have tested this myself and can assure you that the Angelbird firmware update made a huge difference in the camera start-up time, and it was one of the deciding factors in selecting Angelbird CF Express cards for my R5.

This has nothing to do with the stated read/write performance of the card.

Here's an article as reference (there are others too): https://camnostic.com/2021/01/angelbird-cfexpress-cards-first-to-get-user-firmware-upgrade/

Last edited:
This post I wrote should help you with choosing a card.

Hmm, interesting. I have couple non-branded cards which I believe is either Angelbird or Delkin. Both of them perform perfectly fine until 33% full. I can easily write 8k recording or hold down high-speed shooting for long periods. But then it hits 33% on the card (they are different sizes), the write speed drops to almost zero. It can still write, but painfully slow. Formatting card gets it back to full speed.

Both Angelbird and Delkin seem to have FW update to fix their write speed problems, but I can't see how I can do the FW update myself.

You learn something new everyday! Interesting facts about memory cards for sure.
I have just the one CFExpress card, a Sony Tough 128gb and I have been more than happy with the write speeds and it would be a rare event for me to keep my finger on the trigger for more than a second or two and so the camera stalling has yet to happen for me. On the contrary, using electronic shutter because it's silent often means I'm having to delete perfectly good images as they are duplicated. It can become a tiresome business and hence I would like the ability to limit the fps speed in electronic or any other silent mode that might be introduced.

Back to start up times. I read the above linked article with interest and they state the camera is slower when you have just formatted the card too...something I do after every download so maybe take a couple of shots to get over that one. However, in playing around it seems to me the biggest difference in start up time appears to be when the rear LCD screen is open, something I have a preference for...or did!
Looking through the EVF with the rear screen shut the speed of start up to acquiring a focus point was almost instant it seemed.It should also help considerably with power saving too.

I would like to be able to record (for stills) RAW on Card 1 (CF Express) and cRAW on Card 2 (SD) when recording to both cards. Yeah, I know, it's a processor issue.

Adjustable volume and selectable shutter sound for the electronic shutter as previously mentioned. I think the New Nicon offers this sound on E shutter. I would also like to see Canon solve the Electronic shutter and flash issue. This may have to wait for a global shutter but if anything can be done to the R5 it should be done. JMHO

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back