Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bev Brey
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I love my R6 -still learning the camera.....the tracking....is amazing! What I've been noticing is the dull colors vs the 5D3. I can shoot a sunrise/sunset/northern lights and colors are picked up and vibrant BOC.....5D3, not so much with the R6. Any thoughts?

Are you using the same lens as you were using on the 5D III?
Were you shooting in the same format?
Had you changed settings in the 5D III?
Have you updated the firmware in your R6?
Are you shooting in the same conditions?
Are you viewing the photos on the same monitor?
Have you had your eyes checked recently? 😁 (Sorry, wracking my brain for possibilities.)

You can tweak your R6 to render more color in your images. I believe there's a setting called "Picture Styles" that lets you choose a preset. Personally, I prefer to bump them up in post so I have more control. Raw files always look a little flat SOOC, but the info is there.

Are you using the same lens as you were using on the 5D III?
Were you shooting in the same format?
Had you changed settings in the 5D III?
Have you updated the firmware in your R6?
Are you shooting in the same conditions?
Are you viewing the photos on the same monitor?
Have you had your eyes checked recently? 😁 (Sorry, wracking my brain for possibilities.)

You can tweak your R6 to render more color in your images. I believe there's a setting called "Picture Styles" that lets you choose a preset. Personally, I prefer to bump them up in post so I have more control. Raw files always look a little flat SOOC, but the info is there.
I was using the R version of the lens, same format, same settings, I do need to update the last firmware, same conditions, same monitor, same picture style and it's time for an eye check again, lol.

I shoot raw always so I do bump them up in post but it seems I have to boost them more than I'd even consider coming from the 5dIII. So frustrating-especially when shooting those sunsets/sunrises and I'm used to seeing the vibrant colors SOOC , I thought perhaps I was missing something in settings.

I will update the firmware today and see if that changes anything....thanks for the reminder and suggestions. I appreciate it MaraLee.

Be sure to report back? I love the colors I get from my R6, especially with RF glass. I have noticed the raw files are low contrast coming SOOC but I've made my own presets in Lightroom to compensate. I don't like a lot of processing, usually just enough to bring an image up to what I feel I was seeing at the time. That said, I've gotten images with my R6 that LOOKED like I'd super-saturated in pp when all I did was bump the contrast and possibly brought up some shadows, etc. I rarely, if ever, touch the saturation as I feel I can get a more natural look with about a +3-4 on the vibrance slider.

I don't know if you saw, Bev, but the latest firmware update for the R6 was recalled. If you haven't updated yet, hold off.

I love my R6 -still learning the camera.....the tracking....is amazing! What I've been noticing is the dull colors vs the 5D3. I can shoot a sunrise/sunset/northern lights and colors are picked up and vibrant BOC.....5D3, not so much with the R6. Any thoughts?
I have no issues with the R6 colors. Do you shoot in RAW or .jpg? Do you post process?

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_082953_582.jpg
    IMG_20210115_082953_582.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 212
You're not alone. I'm struggling with this too. There's a good youtube video by Katelyn James that explains how to edit differently than you do with your 5D III. It's really problematic with backlit images. Lots of haze and lens flare. compared to my Mark IV. I use EF lens with Canon adapter so maybe that is the issue. I'm loving the sharpness and focus system so I hope I can get it figured out. This is SOOC. Yuck needs so much tweaking.

Attachments

• untitled-117.jpg
    untitled-117.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 201
  • untitled-117-2.jpg
    untitled-117-2.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back