Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So what features would people like to see added to the R6 either via firmware update or a new R6 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.

The only thing that I "miss" with any of the cameras out of the 1D series is the ability to save your camera settings to a card so that you can transfer/copy them to another identical camera .... The 1D series has always had that capability, but Canon leaves that function out of other models. The R6 doesn't do that, but I'm betting the R3 will ....

The only thing that I "miss" with any of the cameras out of the 1D series is the ability to save your camera settings to a card so that you can transfer/copy them to another identical camera .... The 1D series has always had that capability, but Canon leaves that function out of other models. The R6 doesn't do that, but I'm betting the R3 will ....
THIS. The R5 does it, it would be great if they'd allow it with a firmware update for the R6. With my memory (or lack thereof) the way it is, it would be VERY handy.

We have the R5 now, too, and after comparing, I think I like my little R6 even more. I'm okay with 20mp most of the time. I can use Topaz to gain size if need-be. I'd be okay with the dual pixel raw once in a while, but I don't want to deal with massive file sizes on a daily basis. Sorry, getting off-subject here.

I'm still learning the camera, I'll hopefully have more input in the future.

THIS. The R5 does it, it would be great if they'd allow it with a firmware update for the R6. With my memory (or lack thereof) the way it is, it would be VERY handy.

We have the R5 now, too, and after comparing, I think I like my little R6 even more. I'm okay with 20mp most of the time. I can use Topaz to gain size if need-be. I'd be okay with the dual pixel raw once in a while, but I don't want to deal with massive file sizes on a daily basis. Sorry, getting off-subject here.

I'm still learning the camera, I'll hopefully have more input in the future.
Ahhhh ... that's good to hear !! Yeah, my memory not being what it used to be, I'd like that firmware upgrade to save those settings to a card. It really comes in handy if you need to send your camera into CPS - 'cause when you get it back the camera has been returned to factory settings .... just inserting a card and reading your previous settings into the body would keep you from having to remember every setting you've made in that body.

Another matter for a firmware update for the R6: I wanted last night to configure a button (or a dial - ANYTHING!) to toggle between mechanical shutter and electronic shutter .... couldn't do it !! There is no configurable button or dial for Shutter Mode ....
As a work-around I just added that menu item to My Menu - at least, now I don't have to circulate through the menus to get to it ....
But for the next firmware update - that would be high on my list !!
Thank you in advance, Canon !!

This really applies to all r’s but since I use an R6… Id like to see more custom options for the control ring. For my purposes as it sits the ring is useless. I would really in particular like to be able to use it to set a timer or shut the timer off. I shoot on tripods fairly often and use the timer and then pick up the camera 20 minutes later to handhold and forget the timer is still on.

This is more of an issue with the RF lenses than R6 per se, but I believe the problem can be addressed using the camera firmware. Apparently there's a "focus shift" issue, very well described here. Essentially, the lens focuses using the aperture of f2.8, and if a different aperture setting is selected for shooting, e.g. f5.6, the focal distance changes slightly resulting in your target being out of focus. I personally have not had issues with this yet, but plan to investigate it in the near future.

It is more applicable to particular lens(es), but I think this could be a relatively easy fix using the camera firmware, which could rely on a function or a lookup table relating the type of lens, its focal length, aperture and current focusing distance to the required adjustment to focus just before a picture is taken. Of course I might not understand the nuances of optics, and maybe this is actually a much more difficult fix.

Built in GPS
I second to that. But I don't think it's possible via a firmware update. It's the only feature I am missing after using the R6 for half year.
All 1-digit Canon DSLRs had that feature after it became available in early 2010s, including lower tier 6D and 7D Mk2.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back