Canon R6 I Canon R6 Wish List

Insect tracking!
As it is, R6 can't tell the difference between a bug and a flower. Tracking is so bad it's funny.

For the R6 and R7, I would agree that the ability to save settings to a card is the most important.

Also for the R7 it would also be great if the AF point button could be set to Register And Recall A Shooting Function. That would give us another back button that we could use to make instant changes to multiple settings.

Last edited:
button could be set to Register And Recall A Shooting Function
Isn't that exactly what the C1, C2, and C3 shooting modes are for?

Isn't that exactly what the C1, C2, and C3 shooting modes are for?
Thanks for asking.
Yes you can do it that way, and depending what you are shooting it would be fine.
In my case I shoot mostly birds, and sometimes you have to make several changes very fast.
Reaching for the top dial is much slower than just sliding your thumb to the next button.
The R7 does let you do this with the * star button however I like to have the R5 and R7 buttons set to the same settings, so I am using the star button for other settings.
This is just what works best for my needs, but may not be best for everyone. The great thing about these cameras is that we can all customize them to our individual needs.

I often switch between AF selection modes (face/eye tracking vs manual selection modes). I can only use the *M-Fn* button, where it would make much more sense to be able to select the mode using a wheel. I ended up remapping the AF selection button to iterate through the different modes.

Not having a built-in GPS is a serious disadvantage. Not sure what the cost-saving and battery-saving is, but I think Canon's reasoning is that everyone carries a phone anyway. I don't bring my phone to every shoot (or leave it in the car), so I miss this feature. On the other hand, the GPS did drain my 5D IV batteries overnight several times and left me without charge the next morning. I resolved it by removing the batteries when I finished the shoot. It would have already been better that it could sync up with an Apple Watch (not sure if that would be technically possible).

I prefer the ergonomics of the 5D IV over the R6 and also it feels more sturdy (although the R6 is good enough). I do miss the grip on my R6, but the goal was to reduce weight on trips. Adding the grip adds 351 gram to a 680 gram camera adds over 50% of weight, so I'll try without one. I would love to see a grip extender (without any electronics are battery) like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1061854688/grip-extension-for-canon-r5r6-with (but this one looks horrible).

Not having a built-in GPS is a serious disadvantage. Not sure what the cost-saving and battery-saving is, but I think Canon's reasoning is that everyone carries a phone anyway. I don't bring my phone to every shoot (or leave it in the car), so I miss this feature. On the other hand, the GPS did drain my 5D IV batteries overnight several times and left me without charge the next morning.

Was there not an option to turn it off?
If they add a GPS functionality to any future cameras, I really hope the ability to turn it off is readily accessible as GPS is a huge drain on the batteries. I personally don't care for it during everyday shooting, but I could see a case where it would come in handy if I'm traveling and would like to keep the geotags.

You can turn it off, but then you forget to switch it back on again and your photos aren’t geo-tagged. Removing the batteries is easier and you won’t start shooting without the battery.

In my search for the ever-higher magnification I ended up acquiring OM Systems OM-1, as it's supposedly the #1 camera for macro. I'm yet to figure out what all the fuss is about, as while indeed you can get a slightly higher magnification, overall it seems inferior to R6 while holding a very similar price point. However...

It boasts a suite of "computational modes," the coolest of which is the ability to achieve an 80 megapixel capture (on a tripod, or 50mp handheld) using the sensor shift. It takes a series of images while shifting the sensor slightly and then combines them into one large image. It's pretty impressive. Canon R cameras have the floating sensor as well, so without knowing otherwise, I would imagine they're only a software patch away from achieving the same ability.

Would really hope to see such a feature pushed in an update.

Another item on the wish-list is that the camera would report a GPS fix, when the GPS is not accurate. I had the Canon Connect app in the background, but it wasn't allowed (by iOS) to update its position in the background. All my photos on the trip were made on the place where I opened the Canon Connect app the last time. Huge bummer. I ended up using my Google timeline to resync all locations.

I'd like illuminated buttons please like, I believe, the R3 has. Also, an LCD display as big as the R5's. I don't have sausage fingers, but I struggle with the menus on this smaller screen.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back