Canon R7 Canon R7 Firmware Update 1.2.0

Is there somewhere I can find a detailed explanation on how to do the firmware update for the Canon R7 using my 2019 iMac? Has anyone noticed any difference after doing the update?
If you go to the download page linked at the top you can fill in your OS and scroll down to the download for firmware you'll see Details with a down arrow. Click on that and there is a link for Installation Instructions.

For the sake of ease of use:

Download and Installation Instructions Firmware Version 1.2.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
1. The [User Def.] on [Picture Style] can now be selected in the Cloud Raw image processing settings.
2. Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, displays an Error Code 70 when the camera is capturing small subjects.
3. Fixes minor issues.

If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Notes:
Users manual in the WEB is updated accordingly. Please download the manual as well as the latest firmware. You can download it from the official WEB site.

Preparations for a firmware update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.dmg file) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.

*Extracting the downloaded file:
The downloaded folder is automatically extracted, and a firmware folder is created. If the download folder cannot be automatically extracted, double-click the folder.

In the folder you downloaded are the firmware ( EOSR7120.FIR / file size: 69,349,536 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to check the procedure in accordance with the instruction.

(The following is the history of past firmware updates.)
Changes in version 1.1.0:
1. Supports Cloud RAW image processing.

I unfortunately saw zero difference after the update, but based on the content description I wasn't expecting it. I get the feeling the R7's processor is underpowered for the focus system, otherwise it wouldn't drift after locking.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike and Jake. I guess I will wait and see if Canon does another update in the future.

Thanks Mike and Jake. I guess I will wait and see if Canon does another update in the future.
I'm guessing that any updates will be error corrections and not any boosts in function. From listening to other R7 photographers it really seems like the camera is underpowered for what many of us want to use it for. It's the compromise they made to release it at the price point they did. What mystifies me is that with an R8 rumored to be out next year and the R10 out, why couldn't they have made the R7 more expensive and more capable knowing that they had an affordable camera released and others coming? Maybe the R7ii. A man can hope.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back