Canon R7 Canon R7 + Tamron 17-50 Non VC

Solution
I have both the R7 and the Tamron 17-50 non-VC and in my case its not a stable combination. I can get it to work ok(ish) in one shot AF but anything with subject tracking / servo involved and it hunts continuously (same with my old Tamron 90mm macro). Had hoped it would work as it was a great lens but not to be (daughter happily took it of my hands along with my old 60D). For now I'm sticking with the RF-S 18-150 which is really quite good for a kit lens.
I don't own this lens anymore, nor do I own an R7. But, https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/support/checker/ doesn't include your asked about lens. The only Di II lens (for aps-c) listed is the 10-24 VC (G2) lens. I would imagine that the lens won't work. I would contact Tamron and ask them directly. It could be that the lens could have its firmware updated by Tamron service. My G1 version of the 24-70 f2.8 vc had its firmware updated by Tamron service and it works perfectly with my EOS R.

I don't own this lens anymore, nor do I own an R7. But, https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/support/checker/ doesn't include your asked about lens. The only Di II lens (for aps-c) listed is the 10-24 VC (G2) lens. I would imagine that the lens won't work. I would contact Tamron and ask them directly. It could be that the lens could have its firmware updated by Tamron service. My G1 version of the 24-70 f2.8 vc had its firmware updated by Tamron service and it works perfectly with my EOS R.
This is an old lens that Tamron is not currently selling.

This is an old lens that Tamron is not currently selling.
Yes, you are correct. But the site I linked also includes lenses that Tamron doesn't currently sell or produce. For example, the 24-70 f2.8 VC (A007) which I own and referred to previously as well as other lenses which are no longer available from Tamron. So the list is not restricted to currently produced models. I would still contact Tamron directly. They were very informative when I contacted them here in Europe. Good luck!
Screenshot 2023-08-31 113547.jpg

The lens still being sold used in many places such as ebay, mpb and keh

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/t...-2-8-xr-di-ii-ld-aspherical-if-canon-ef-s-fit

The average price is around $150 (why I'm interested because it's not a lens that I'm going to be using too much so I do not want to spend a lot of money on it).

I do not think that Tamron will answer my question of how compatible this lens is with the Canon R7 for a lens that it's not longer supported, produced and sold by them. ;-)

The lens still being sold used in many places such as ebay, mpb and keh

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/t...-2-8-xr-di-ii-ld-aspherical-if-canon-ef-s-fit

The average price is around $150 (why I'm interested because it's not a lens that I'm going to be using too much so I do not want to spend a lot of money on it).

I do not think that Tamron will answer my question of how compatible this lens is with the Canon R7 for a lens that it's not longer supported, produced and sold by them. ;-)
When I had my 24-70 Tamron's firmware updated, my original contact with Tamron EU was about both it and my Tamron 70-200 (non G2 as well) and if they would work with RF cameras. I was asking this prior to buying my EOS R. They were very kind in their response, but in the end they didn't give any different information except what was contained on their compatibility list online.

You could always buy one and then resell it on ebay etc if it didn't work. But, I would have to try the lens on an dslr camera to make sure it was good before I resold it to someone.

I had this lens up until I switched to full frame (6d) about 3 years ago. It was a very good lens in my opinion and took some very sharp images. If it would work on the R7, and I had an R7, I would definitely pay $150 for a good copy.

I did a quick search on my Google machine and found a thread on another forum.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=19470535

It doesn't indicate whether or not the lens will work, but the OP is looking for an alternative to the same lens as yours for his R7. He doesn't say whether or not it will work, but maybe you could message him and find out, or post there and see if he answers.

Thanks Bryan, I have some indications that it works but also I have other saying that AF is too slow. So I'm hesitating a little bit.

I have both the R7 and the Tamron 17-50 non-VC and in my case its not a stable combination. I can get it to work ok(ish) in one shot AF but anything with subject tracking / servo involved and it hunts continuously (same with my old Tamron 90mm macro). Had hoped it would work as it was a great lens but not to be (daughter happily took it of my hands along with my old 60D). For now I'm sticking with the RF-S 18-150 which is really quite good for a kit lens.

Solution
Thanks! That's what I needed!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back