Control ring - what you use it for?

I have the RF 15-35mm and 70-200mm lenses and don't use the control rings for anything.

I mean the button on the front of the camera body between the lens and hand grip. My finger can’t reach it unless I adjust my palm fwrd. So I’ve deemed it useless for my apparent smaller hands haha

Yes that's the button I was talking about too.

And now you mention, I tried few different hand angles on the grip and yes it's just about reachable for me. If my hands were even slightly smaller, I wouldn't be able to reach it without changing the grip.

I started out using it for EV. Since then I've tried WB & Kelvin. Still experimenting but it's not my most used feature.

On my R, I used it to change my aperture, like on an old manual lens. Since I've gotten the R5, I haven't set up anything. Thanks for this thread. It will give me some ideas.

I shoot in FV mode and use the control ring for shutter speed adjustments, I select an appropriate aperture given my current shooting and tend to leave ISO in Auto. I shoot mostly wildlife, so having a quick shutter adjustment allows me to make quick changes for things like birds in flight vs more static images and with Auto ISO, that will adjust to keep everything in the ball park.

Concerning the control ring adapter for the R series camera. I know this allows one to use EF lenses on these cameras. My question is, does this change the full frame sensor to a crop sensor when using EF lenses? I've read where it would change the 45MP full frame sensor to a 17MP resolution crop censor setting.

Concerning the control ring adapter for the R series camera. I know this allows one to use EF lenses on these cameras. My question is, does this change the full frame sensor to a crop sensor when using EF lenses? I've read where it would change the 45MP full frame sensor to a 17MP resolution crop censor setting.
The adapter, when used with an EF lens, will still produce a full frame image. The adapter also allows you to use EF-S lenses (a crop frame lens), when used with an EF-S lens, you will end up with a crop image on your sensor.

The adapter, when used with an EF lens, will still produce a full frame image. The adapter also allows you to use EF-S lenses (a crop frame lens), when used with an EF-S lens, you will end up with a crop image on your sensor.
Thanks!

Exposure compensation is handy especially with long range zoom lenses. Exposure can vary depending on composition and framing

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been wondering about the value of the control ring on the adapter. Exposure comp seems to be the one thing I might want it for.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back