tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
I've had RF body only for few months now, and I still haven't figured out anything useful to be used with the control ring.

I'm curious, what people are using it for?

Nothing at all! I was recommended to get the control ring adapter...I haven't got any RF lenses... but as far as I'm concerned it's an unneeded extra expense. I have the three dials set for S/S, Aperture and ISO so that's me happy. There is no way I can hand hold the camera with a large lens and use the control ring, perhaps if it was tripod mounted it might be useful though. There is always the danger that you change whatever it's set to change by accidentally moving it when you are carrying the camera too.

I have it set to exposure compensation since I can control the other three with the other dials on the body. The exposure compensation gets used if I flip the ISO to auto in certain shooting situations.

I did consider that function @Kevin.sim but for the reasons of accidentally changing it I decided I wouldn't need it that often anyway.
Yes it can be inadvertently adjusted but is handy to have. I find I'm forgetful sometimes of checking my settings anyways before shooting ;)

Yes it can be inadvertently adjusted but is handy to have. I find I'm forgetful sometimes of checking my settings anyways before shooting ;)

Yea I was considering EC but rejected the idea for exactly that reason. Especially shooting sports or events, often you don't have time to check the settings or even chimp the pictures.

I'm wondering if there's some item that would be either obvious change, and/or something that doesn't really matter too much if it's incorrect.

The front button on R5 I've configured to switch between eye-AF on/off, and that's quite handy.

I also have it set to exposure compensation. Can't say it gets much use but I enjoy having it as an option. I have yet to accidentally turn it so I'm thinking it'll live there for a while.

Yea I was considering EC but rejected the idea for exactly that reason. Especially shooting sports or events, often you don't have time to check the settings or even chimp the pictures.

I'm wondering if there's some item that would be either obvious change, and/or something that doesn't really matter too much if it's incorrect.

The front button on R5 I've configured to switch between eye-AF on/off, and that's quite handy.
I can't even really reach the front button so I pretend it's not there. Am I the only one with this issue?

I can't even really reach the front button so I pretend it's not there. Am I the only one with this issue?
I presume you are talking about the control ring and buttons on an RF lens? I have to agree that I have never used the buttons on my telephoto lenses either. They are hidden under lens coats and even its they weren't by the time I found then it would be too late anyway! The control ring in the EF-EOSR adapter is right up against the camera body so with a short lens it's easy to use no doubt.

I presume you are talking about the control ring and buttons on an RF lens? I have to agree that I have never used the buttons on my telephoto lenses either. They are hidden under lens coats and even its they weren't by the time I found then it would be too late anyway! The control ring in the EF-EOSR adapter is right up against the camera body so with a short lens it's easy to use no doubt.
I mean the button on the front of the camera body between the lens and hand grip. My finger can’t reach it unless I adjust my palm fwrd. So I’ve deemed it useless for my apparent smaller hands haha

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back