Control ring - what you use it for?

Exposure compensation isn't available if you use "M" unless you also use auto-iso so no use to me unfortunately.

I did consider that function @Kevin.sim but for the reasons of accidentally changing it I decided I wouldn't need it that often anyway.
I know with the R, the control ring on the lenses can be set to only be used if the shutter button is half-pressed. That should eliminate most accidental usage.....right???
Disclaimer - I'm not sure if the control ring on the adapter can be set that way as well.

I know with the R, the control ring on the lenses can be set to only be used if the shutter button is half-pressed. That should eliminate most accidental usage.....right???
Disclaimer - I'm not sure if the control ring on the adapter can be set that way as well.
I'll investigate, thanks . However, still can't think of a use for it yet!

I would love to use it more (it's on my EF lenses adapter) and thought, like most of you folk, that of set it to ISO or exposure comp. The trouble is, 99% of the times I use long lenses (70-200L or 100-400L) so can't get my fingers back there and hold the lens up at the same time! 😬

I use it for ISO on the R, right now it is set for exposure comp on the R5, but I'm not sure how often I will really use it.

Exposure compensation isn't available if you use "M" unless you also use auto-iso so no use to me unfortunately.
I've tried the auto ISO while in manual but the control ring does nothing while set to adjust the exposure compensation. When I switch to P mode the ring works fine. I'm new to the R5, am I missing something concerning the control ring use in manual? I'm using EF lenses.

I've tried the auto ISO while in manual but the control ring does nothing while set to adjust the exposure compensation. When I switch to P mode the ring works fine. I'm new to the R5, am I missing something concerning the control ring use in manual? I'm using EF lenses.
You need to check your settings again perhaps. Mine works both with using the adapter and Rf lens.
Maybe you are not either using auto ISO or haven't switched the use of the control ring. The latter not likely as it works in P ( and should in other modes too without auto iso) I'd check you have set auto-iso I think. Hope you work it out!

You need to check your settings again perhaps. Mine works both with using the adapter and Rf lens.
Maybe you are not either using auto ISO or haven't switched the use of the control ring. The latter not likely as it works in P ( and should in other modes too without auto iso) I'd check you have set auto-iso I think. Hope you work it out!
Yep, thought I was in auto ISO but was not while in manual mode. Thanks!

I use the control ring to adjust ISO. The wheel on the body's back is used for EV compensation.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back