Criticism - Good Bad or say nothing.

I will not critique others’ pictures here because I am not very good at it and would have nothing worthwhile to contribute.🧐🤔😎🚬

I like the idea of having a separate section for critiques as well. With people participating in this forum coming from all stages of skill development I thing being positive overall is the way to go. If someone asks for a critique I think that is a good way to get feedback if the photographer wants it.

I would support that.
Me too. Less likelihood of being flamed if you try to offer constructive comment, and less likelihood of being disheartened if someone pulls your photo to bits. You ask for criticism if you post in that forum, but can still post plenty of shots where you just want to show folk the pics you've taken. Derr, I hope that makes sense.

"Thick skinned". "Civil critique". Opposite sides of the coin? Looks like we are on the path to writing rules the artists and the evaluator could abide by.
It should be relatively safe to give technical criticism.
I did not intend these comments to be directed towards developing rules but ensure free and honest critiques leading to productive discussions. This requires that both sides of the coin understand that "thick-skinned" and "civil critique" are required by all participants. In any case, the current rules to use this site are more than sufficient. JMHO ;) :cool:

I'd be open to a critique section. I think there would be a real opportunity to learn from the group here, even for those lurking, much more than the Facebook groups that merely pat each other on the back and don't offer any real advice or help.

However, I notice there's an obvious lack of input from Mister Timothy on the subject, so I suspect there's a reason why we don't already have this feature?

Timothy?

Timothy?

However, I notice there's an obvious lack of input from Mister Timothy on the subject, so I suspect there's a reason why we don't already have this feature?

Timothy?

Timothy?
He could be busy. The forum is growing

I think if you are going to comment on someones photo , you need to understand why it was taken in the eye of the photographer , so a critique section would be good so the photographer can give their view of the photo first . I personally don't comment on anyones work unless it's to praise the photo , I certainly don't see the point in commenting anything negative , I am not your teacher and neither am I your pupil , we all work at different levels whether its pro or for enjoyment , a photo can mean nothing to one person and the world to another , I took snapshots of a holiday we took in 2019 , they mean the world to us as a family but are far from professional photos , but I also go out and shoot photos for clients and wouldn't dream of taking and presenting photos that I don't class are of a certain standard , or a standard that I want to work at .

He could be busy. The forum is growing
Oh, I'm sure he's very busy. Timothy has done an extremely efficient job of covering pretty much every aspect this type of site could provide, so I was musing aloud (?) that he may very well have his reasons for not already having a section devoted to critiques due to his own reasons. He may just not have the extra time needed to put out any fires that that particular type of forum can erupt into.

No matter how many caveats you provide, there will always be those that get their feelings hurt because they put up Poopsie's photo really wanting the OOOHs and AWWWs rather than real constructive criticism. I've moderated a forum at a national publication with over 58k members in the past, and it would overtake the lives of the admins and moderators, with the critiques being the worst culprits.

Basically, the forum needs a permanent heading and a few ground rules.

As long as comment are of benefit I don't see a problem. Just needs Timothy's approval.

I think if you are going to comment on someones photo , you need to understand why it was taken in the eye of the photographer , so a critique section would be good so the photographer can give their view of the photo first . I personally don't comment on anyones work unless it's to praise the photo , I certainly don't see the point in commenting anything negative , I am not your teacher and neither am I your pupil , we all work at different levels whether its pro or for enjoyment , a photo can mean nothing to one person and the world to another , I took snapshots of a holiday we took in 2019 , they mean the world to us as a family but are far from professional photos , but I also go out and shoot photos for clients and wouldn't dream of taking and presenting photos that I don't class are of a certain standard , or a standard that I want to work at .
I understand your concern. However, as this is a voluntary submittal for critique, those seeking this type of input would only be submitting photos they desire input on for the purposes of learning and growing. The key is "voluntary". There is the rest of this site that can serve quite well for the purposes of any other photo posting. As you say "we all work at different levels whether its pro or for enjoyment " and this forum would allow those truly interested photographers an opportunity to grow and gain knowledge to attain different skill levels.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back