Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
I have a BenQ monitor, color calibrated with XSpider pro for sRGB. The accuracy of this monitor is incredible, afaik. I have two other Asus monitors that are "factory" calibrated for sRGB. I edit all my photos on the BenQ monitor. I drag an edited photo screen-to-screen to one of my Azus monitors and the sharpening and saturation are noticeably higher... not the final results that I intended.

So, considering the sRGB colorspace for web photos - such as this forum's photos - is there a common bias on most monitors to oversaturation so that even an color calibrated photo appears different to most viewers. In other words, is sRGB color calibration of web photos a waste of time?

For example the newt below seems reasonably muted in color on my calibrated monitor, but oversaturated on my uncalibrated monitor. Same with the mushroom. Everyone that views these will have a different perspective based on their own monitors. Is this all a waste of time other then for photo prints?
GroveFramHikes-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 10000
GroveFramHikes-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 223.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 500
GroveFramHikes-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 12800

Is this all a waste of time other then for photo prints?

Coming from 20+ years of work in the darkroom to digital I have always enjoyed the post production as the photography. If nothing else it gave me the ability to match the finished product to what I saw through the viewfinder.

I think I do it as more for myself then others but always hope folks enjoy the finished work. If you enjoy post and it isn't frustrating you or bogging you down then it isn't a waste of time.

And I appreciate the time spent on post production for the posted images, each are quite remarkable.

I don't think so. You can't control the billions of devices out there but you can control what you do. So the ones that are calibrated will look better. And for yourself you know you have done the best you could.

I have an iMac calibrated using an i1 Display Pro and Calibrite software and all three files look great to me. I appreciate the work you put in.

Calibrating your monitor isn't a waste of time, particularly if you're sharing online.

Thinking that the person viewing is on something calibrated, or has calibrated it correctly, isn't worth the brain cells.

And that said, I just had my eye doctor tell me that the lens in my eye is starting to yellow slightly, meaning I see pure whites slightly yellow, so what do I know?! LOL

Calibrating your monitor isn't a waste of time, particularly if you're sharing online.

Thinking that the person viewing is on something calibrated, or has calibrated it correctly, isn't worth the brain cells.

And that said, I just had my eye doctor tell me that the lens in my eye is starting to yellow slightly, meaning I see pure whites slightly yellow, so what do I know?! LOL
That's a challenge. How do you calibrate for that? My eyeglasses have a blue light filter, most do nowadays. So, I have to remember to take them off when adjusting colors.

Having a good, calibrated monitor in a multi-monitor setup just brought home the realization that most viewers see a version that is somewhat different than what I see on my monitor. I can make a split-screen of an image by moving the window to span between two monitors. The difference in tint and saturation was more than I expected, but not horrible. I certainly agree that I would rather work on a calibrate monitor and know what I got. I'm also interested in calibrating for AdobeRGB and trying prints.

To add to this color shifting, I have glasses that have a very slight yellow/orange tint. This is supposed to relieve monitor - eye fatigue.
so everything I see or edit is slightly on the yellow side. I have never calibrated any of my monitors over the years.

I have a BenQ monitor, color calibrated with XSpider pro for sRGB...
I have one as well. Although I do all of my developing work in the prophoto RGB space I always bring it down to sRGB to post. I have noticed the same thing, that the images are more saturated on my older NEC monitors (they are calibrated though, with the NEC Spectraview). I know not everyone will see it the same, but when I look at the images on my phone or pad and on other peoples monitors it looks pretty good. Don't stress. But keep calibrating!

A grey balanced card and trusting the histogram in post would be a few things. I'm not a card user and I'm sure at my age I'm not seeing whites and other colours like once did.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back