gudgoin

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jon
Of the new Canon R Series mirrorless camera adopters, who have kept their DSLR(s) as system compliments, and who have gone all mirrorless and not looked back?

I like to haul my 7D around with battery grip and sigma 70-200 incase a gang fight brakes out have a bat. Or to fend off wild animals coyotes, javelin angry longhorns. It is Texas after all. And hell i still get great images of the old beast.

In early 2018 I sold off a bunch of equipment to help deal with some medical bills, but hung onto my 6D. I wasn't sure at the time if I wanted to stick with Canon or try a Sony out, but I definitely knew I wanted to go mirrorless. At the end of 2018 when the R launched I figured I'd stick with Canon and picked up the R in January 2019. I think by the end of February I had sold the 6D, and I've been gradually replacing my EF glass with RF lenses. I picked up an RP as a secondary camera not long ago, and will be adding an R5 to the stable soon. A DSLR holds no interest for me any more, and I don't miss them at all.

Not me, I sold my 5D Mark IV, bought the R5 and have since picked up the R6 as a backup body.
Now using all RF lenses so the switch is complete. :)

Not me, I sold my 5D Mark IV, bought the R5 and have since picked up the R6 as a backup body.
Now using all RF lenses so the switch is complete. :)
I've only got one left to replace from the EF lineup, my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. But I'm waitng until after I pick up the R5 and the 85mm f/1.2

I've only got one left to replace from the EF lineup, my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. But I'm waitng until after I pick up the R5 and the 85mm f/1.2
The RF 70-200 2.8 is amazing, especially in terms of how small it is putting it in your bag :)

I was going to buy the 85mm 1.2 but I'm not sure I'd use the focal length enough, tempted to buy the f2 version instead.

I've still got a 1Dx MkII and a bunch of EF lenses, including the 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS II and the 100 f2.8 Macro in L lenses plus a few primes and a Sigma 150-600 C and was wondering if I should just sell off everything to a dealer and get an R6 as backup to my R5 and a few other RF lenses. Anyone fancy making me an offer I can't refuse lol.

I can't make my mind as to selling my 100-400 Mk2 which is a back up if I have the 1.4TC on the 100-500 and I need less reach at hand so I still have the 5D4 too. I am now used to using the mirrorless so the DSLR will seem old hat but I have a sneaky feeling that the IQ from the 5D4 might deserve a direct comparison and stand up well to be honest. The R5 is a wonderful bit of kit and offers some big advances on all the DSLR's I have owned but sometimes we get a touch of the emperor's new clothes syndrome. Same applies to RF glass. There are actually disadvantages with some of the RF lenses when it comes to the use of TC's or inability in the case of the RF 70-200f2.8. Likewise my 500mm f4 Mk2 is still the latest model until they bring out the RF version which strangely doesn't figure in the rumoured roadmap. All the rumoured super telephotos are going to cost an arm, a leg and a kidney.....and to what benefit? You can't beat razor sharp IQ and instant AF so where do you go from there? Only one place and that's weight loss. It has to be substantial for that sort of monetary pain!
On the other hand, maybe the answer for me is an RF1 as and when it comes out. A camera body that could take the 100-500 to a new level because of much better noise performance and maybe even bigger crop potential too. I could take the weight gain of the body just for the benefit of bigger battery and ergonomics. I have owned four of the 1D series bodies and love them. Yes, the RF1 is an option and I could probably save an arm and a leg and who needs two kidneys?

I have just made the change to an R6 with the RF 24-105L and RF 100-500 lenses. To do this, I have sold two camera bodies (6D2 and 50D) and several lenses (25-105L, 70-300L Sigma 150-600 and EFs 10-18) Although I loved the 6D2, it still retained a good second hand value, so decided to keep the older 7D1 (good camera but not a lot of value) as a back up instead. I have since realised that having changed my main lenses over to RF series, I will be rather limited if I need to use the 7D, so I will not be updating my existing EF 17-40L and 100L anytime soon. Perhaps in time I will have to look for a second hand R as back up.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back