gudgoin

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jon
Of the new Canon R Series mirrorless camera adopters, who have kept their DSLR(s) as system compliments, and who have gone all mirrorless and not looked back?

I bought the original R in 2018 while I also owned a 5D Mark IV and an 80D. At the time, I intended to keep the 5D and probably sell the 80D.

Six weeks later, I had not touched the 5D4 once. Re-thought my plan and decided to sell the 5D4. Glad I did at the time because I got more for my used one then they sell for new now. Sold the 80D a short time later as well.

Ended up buying a second R. Sold one last year and picked up an R5, thinking I would do an R/R5 combo. Shortly after using the R5, decided it was too much going between R and R5, sold my second R for an R6 and haven’t looked back.

I would honestly be surprised if Canon released any new DSLR’s at this point. Possible exception being the consumer “T” series crop bodies to keep market share in that category. I imagine they will continue making the current models in the upper lines (90D, 5D4, 1DX3) along with the current EF and EF-S lenses but I think they will be end of the lines models with focus shifting to R series bodies and RF lenses.

I bought the original R in 2018 while I also owned a 5D Mark IV and an 80D. At the time, I intended to keep the 5D and probably sell the 80D.

Six weeks later, I had not touched the 5D4 once. Re-thought my plan and decided to sell the 5D4. Glad I did at the time because I got more for my used one then they sell for new now. Sold the 80D a short time later as well.

Ended up buying a second R. Sold one last year and picked up an R5, thinking I would do an R/R5 combo. Shortly after using the R5, decided it was too much going between R and R5, sold my second R for an R6 and haven’t looked back.

I would honestly be surprised if Canon released any new DSLR’s at this point. Possible exception being the consumer “T” series crop bodies to keep market share in that category. I imagine they will continue making the current models in the upper lines (90D, 5D4, 1DX3) along with the current EF and EF-S lenses but I think they will be end of the lines models with focus shifting to R series bodies and RF lenses.
When the R was in development and we knew that Canon would be developing a complete mirrorless camera system, it came as a bit of a surprise that the successor to the 1DXII would be a DSLR and not a mirrorless camera. In retrospect, it makes sense because the effort was to build a sports camera for the 2020 Olympics that would be the best in the world. Building on decades of known design and existing glass made the most sense. But, I think that you are correct in the assumption that future efforts will be based on the advantages that the shorter FD of mirrorless provides, not to mention quietness, lack of mirror vibration, WYSIWYG EVF and a dozen other features. For all of them we give up an OVF and it appears to be a fair exchange. I miss it nonetheless.

My early experience is similar to yours. I had the 5Div and the 7Dii. The 5D was for landscapes and the 7D was used for wildlife/sport. I got offered a really good price on the EOS R just a few months ago and took the plunge. I sold my 7D at the same time.

The intention was to use the R for wildlife/sport or, if the EVF didn't suit me, make it my landscape camera. So far I'm undecided as I have had some cracking wildlife pics with it, but there's been no sport happening due to the pandemic. It's been great fun to use, but I've dug out my 5D a couple of times and I suspect the R has the edge on focus speed. Never been keen on EVFs but maybe it's growing on me. The articulated screen is a bonus for landscapes with the tripod low, saves my knees ;)
The down side is the lag in the viewfinder - even after a half press to wake it up, there's a delay after I raise it to my eye, not great for birds in flight.
So I'm probably about 50/50 with going completely mirrorless, and getting a good price for the 5D while it's still worth something.

My 5D Mk2 is sitting in its bag in the corner with a couple of EF lenses and has hardly seen the light of day since I got the RP and later also an R6. I had considered selling but it has been a faithful workhorse for many years and i have grandchildren who are beginning to show an interest in photography so that is probably where it will end up. Only problem for small grandchild, she will hardly be able to lift it with a 24-105 on.

I bought the R in early 2020, coming from a 6D MkII. I thought the R would be both an upgrade and my first foray into mirrorless. By summer of 2020, the only time I had looked at the bag the DSLR was in was to shift it out of the way to pick up the bag where I kept the R. However, the R still lacked some features that I had wanted, so this year I picked up an R5. My intention now is to sell off my DSLRs (I also still own a 70D), keeping the R as a backup body. The move to RF lenses will be much slower however, since the EF lenses I have work well and I don't have the budget to make that move quickly.

I bought the R in early 2020, coming from a 6D MkII. I thought the R would be both an upgrade and my first foray into mirrorless. By summer of 2020, the only time I had looked at the bag the DSLR was in was to shift it out of the way to pick up the bag where I kept the R. However, the R still lacked some features that I had wanted, so this year I picked up an R5. My intention now is to sell off my DSLRs (I also still own a 70D), keeping the R as a backup body. The move to RF lenses will be much slower however, since the EF lenses I have work well and I don't have the budget to make that move quickly.
The lens issue is one I contemplate, as well. Does one keep the legacy EF glass and an EF body or two, or do you cash out on the lot and build an RF system from the ground up? Once having invested in RF glass, that's pretty much the end of using EF bodies. I've got an EOS 1v film camera that is an awesome film shooter and compatible with all of my EF glass, so it's an issue greater than just considering the digital era.

The lens issue is one I contemplate, as well. Does one keep the legacy EF glass and an EF body or two, or do you cash out on the lot and build an RF system from the ground up? Once having invested in RF glass, that's pretty much the end of using EF bodies. I've got an EOS 1v film camera that is an awesome film shooter and compatible with all of my EF glass, so it's an issue greater than just considering the digital era.
I went strictly to the R as soon as I got it and couldn’t be happier. I got the lens converter and the L series lenses work great with it.

My intention is to keep using my EF glass and just adapt it. I am keeping my mkIV but not sure how much I’ll end up using it. More for a backup than anything. I’d like to get some native glass for the R5 but that’s expensive.

My intention is to keep using my EF glass and just adapt it. I am keeping my mkIV but not sure how much I’ll end up using it. More for a backup than anything. I’d like to get some native glass for the R5 but that’s expensive.
I sold some of my EF glass and for RF lenses (EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II for RF 70-200mm f/2.8L, EF 50mm f/1.8 for RF 50mm f/1.8, EF 11-24mm f/4L for RF 15-35mm f/2.8L), the ones I decided to sell were mostly due to size/weight of RF vs EF with adapter and in the case of the EF 11-24mm, the RF 15-35mm is a more useful range for me and the faster f/2.8 aperture In addition a to considerable size/weight advantage.

I expect I will keep some of my EF glass as well. Notably, I plan to hold onto my EF 100-400mm II and EF 100mm f/2.8L.

Besides the above, I have also picked up the RF 800mm f/11, RF 24-240mm, and RF 35mm f/1.8 macro offerings.

I think the RF 24-240mm is almost a “must have” for anyone with an R/RX body. Absolutely wonderful walk around lens and great IQ for the price.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back