New to RF and need advice.

Hi Jake. I am not saying that th R7 idea is a bad one nor that other R7 s out there are no good. The one I have is new. Its done 300 shots, been updated etc. All my gear is L series. I have a new SanDisk card as recommended by everyone that reviewed the R7. Iown a high end laptop and never use cheap tech. My point was and I quote " this camera is rubbish" and I was referring to the one I have. Its going back to Canon for testing as I believe it has an electronic glitch that needs addressing. On the occasions when it worked properly it was an adequate tool but as it cost about the same as a 7DmkII it really needed to be as well built and user friendly as that, which in my view it isn't.

Hi Barry,

I also shot with Canon DSLRs for several years going back to the 20D and upgraded periodically on newer models. While still shooting with those cameras I made the transition to mirrorless with the then, new Canon M system. Still own and shoot with the M5 and have a few EF-M lenses, it's a nice camera for travel when you need to pack light. The R had been out for a bit over a year and rumors of the R5 were happening so the R price dropped. I opted to sell my 5Ds which I mostly used for landscapes and portraits due to it's high resolution sensor. I got the R and overall was happy with it but my sports and wildlife camera was the 7D MkII. I really couldn't decide on the R7 when it was released as it was getting mixed reviews. Some birders loved it and some didn't and almost everyone complained about the small size and no battery grip which I have always used. With long lenses I just feel it balances better and also like the vertical controls.

I finally just decided to give it a go and got the R7. It had a bit of a learning curve for me, even though I was shooting with the Canon R but the subject tracking and eye detection took me awhile to get better at using. I came to the realization that the R7 was not nearly as groundbreaking as the 7D MkII had been when it was released. But while there were things I didn't like I had to consider the things I did like. I like the higher burst rate and overall like the subject tracking, especially for flying birds or kids playing soccer (football) I guess I felt I had to take the good with the bad.

I have found that the more I shoot with it the better I get with my keeper ration of good shots. The price I paid for the R7 wasn't too different than the 7D MkII body when I got it so I figure in a year or 2 if they come out with a much improved version of the R7 I probably will upgrade.

Usually I sell my used gear that I have upgraded from but I decided to keep the 7D MkII as a backup or maybe for one of my grandkids if they are interested in it. The resale value isn't that good here, I could only get $300 or so for it so why not just keep it.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the input. My suspicions about my own R7 may be true as it has now developed another error. Sometimes on start up it is amazingly quick to focus and works fine. However it will just freeze and refuse to focus my 400mm lenses on other occasions. As its an intermittent fault along with the other bad behaviours I can only assume it has communication problems internally. I will have it checked out professionally in case it is a faulty camera and will need replacing. I agree with everyone that it has good features as when its working the image quality is rather pleasing for an aps-c sensor. I have read about the R5 and R6 too and get the impression that occasionally they have had faults too, but generally they are a step up from a DSLR. The burst rate on the R& is fine if you need it but I have never been one to shoot multiple images to get one good one , though I can appreciate that there will be times when it is essential. I suppose its a hark back to only having 36 exposures available on a roll. One thing I will never like is the viewfinder. It would need to be millions of pixels better and steadier before I would be happy with it. Long live mirrors! I intend to sort this camera out and give it a proper test once its sorted. In the meantime I have my dslr's that have never been at fault. You are right that the used values are low now as the market is pushing the mirrorless route. Cynic that I am I just think its a technology being forced on us for profit before its really up to scratch. We will see.

Picking up on Barry's EVF point, I took a little while to get used to it on my original R6 when moving from a DSLR and it was a bit nerve racking initially to find it entirely white or entirely black due to the settings being at one extreme or the other for some reason. However I now find it very useful - I have had no problems with steadiness in the EVF on either my Mk1 or Mk2 R6s.

Still no success with this camera (R7) . I have a adapter, a 1.4x extender III and a 100mm-400mm IS mk3 zoom lens (L series EF) that are all supposed to work together but they don't seem to gel . I find the touch screen totally annoying as its too sensitive even on standard so I have to turn it off. Pointless really when you need it active to be able to change settings etc in a hurry. It also reacts to the static in my fingers by flicking itself off before I even get to touch the controls. I have a 5D mk 4 and a 1DX mk III that have touch screens but they have never done anything this stupid. I really do not like this camera so far. It has one saving grace in that it has a high pixel resolution so that when it does focus the image is a good one, but I took 150 images this morning of birds on a feeder in my garden , some with single shot, some with silent continuous, high speed+, etc to test out the shutter modes and servo/single shot, and other settings like Av and Tv and automatic and changing the f.stop and ISO. I did this on a stable platform of a quality tripod at 30 feet range. Result was 150 blurred images. I find it hard to believe that Canon is being untruthful when they say that EF kit works properly with the adapter but it seems possible that my R7 does not like it. With my 7DmkII I can do this hand held!!!
I have been through a long cycle of testing the settings in all the shooting modes I use with my EF kit, on the R7 ,and I am very disappointed with the poor performance so far.

Send it in to canon for warranty repair or replacement. I have a similar background and have very few issues with mine, other than buffer issues mostly on high speed electronic shutter usage. Canon has always been very prompt and generally will pay your shipping, etc. What you are experiencing is not the norm. I did have error lockups, code 80? At first but that was from a 3rd party battery, which I now limit to mr 5D4. I upgraded firmware to 1.3 with no issues.

I feel badly for all the frustration you are going through, but give their service and support a try. It really is a remarkable camera with much of the old EF-L glass. I hate to even say this, but make sure your ibis is actually turned on and working. Even on the EF lens where applicable. Good luck with whatever you do.

Gary

Thanks Gary and sorry for the delay in responding. I have made some progress with the R7 by setting it up exactly as I did the 7D. After turning off the touch screen it seems to be behaving itself now. More from me when I have settled with it. I spoke to Canon repair shop in Stoke on Trent (UK) and they said it was unusual too.

Unlearn what I have learned???? What a pointless remark that is. I thought it was all about taking fantastic images, not playing about with high tech garbage that gets in the way. If a camera will just do what it is supposed to do without the need for a mass of supposedly innovative technology to assist the user, then it would be useful. For example:- it needs a good ISO range, good shutter speed range, fast and accurate focussing, the ability to prioritise shutter or aperture and be accurate with the light metering. The rest is up to the user to be good at what they do and compose the best images possible. Beyond that its a waste of time and technology. The post processing takes care of any minor glitches that occur. If one screws up and gets no good shots, well! Isn't that just part of the learning curve with any camera.
While I respect the use of gadgetry , on the whole most of it is pointless and I feel we are being forced along a path that we don't really need to follow. I find my R7 more of an irritation than of use, but I am still learning how to make the best of it. Time will tell.

Appreciate the comments. You too enjoy your Rseries.

Just been reading about the

Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Lens​

and it says that this lens is compatible with the R7 with a footnote saying that it will have a 1.6 crop factor. There is also an RF extender 1.4x available.
Can anyone tell me if this combination will result in a loss of autofocus and would I be better with a 400mm prime lens instead.
Reason for asking is that with the EF system a 100-400mm lens and 1.4x extender maintains autofocus and if I were to go RF lenses with the R7 what would be the best combination. Its for wildlife mainly and my 7DmkII is getting old.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back