General APS-C Enabling Manual Focus on the new Sigma RF-S 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN

Philnick

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Olenick
Just got the new Sigma RF-S 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN, the first Canon-licensed third-party AF/AE lens. It's a fast lens about as sharp as the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, but nearly the same size and weight as the 10 oz RF-S 18-150mm kit lens.

Just one gumption trap - its Manual Focus ring is actually an unlabeled combined Focus/Control ring like on Canon's smallest primes, and doesn't have a Focus/Control switch on the lens.

So if your camera is set up to use Focus/Control rings as Control Rings, you won't be able to manually focus this lens.

Mine was set up that way so I could use the ones on my compact RF primes as f/stop rings. I later decided to disable Control Rings because the ones on my EF adapter were too easily jostled. As a result, what looked like a Focus ring on this lens did absolutely nothing until I went to the last page on the Focus tab in my R7's menu and set "Focus/Control" to "Focus." Then it worked to focus the lens.

I found that Control Ring being set to Off on another page doesn't disable manual focusing. It only disables the Control function, not the ring itself.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back