Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Simon Ogilvie
City/State
Cambridge (UK)
I've had a few occasions recently where my EOS-R has locked up after taking a shot and won't do anything until I turn it off and on again. The viewfinder still shows the live view but there's no AF and the shutter won't fire. I've heard of similar issues with the R5, but is this a known problem with the R? It's annoying although easily solved.

Are you using the latest firmware 1.8.0? I've had it happen with my R5 a couple of times, it is annoying.

Yes I've got 1.8.0 on it. It only happens occasionally so maybe I'll just have to live with it!

R5 locked up yesterday shooting a wedding, thankfully not at a critical moment. Not the first time and the only way to get past it is to remove the battery clip. Canon CPS will check it over when it goes in for a service at the end of the year......

I know this is an old post, but I just discovered it and may have some info for anyone searching for a solution.

While I haven't had this happen to my EOS R, I did have it happen a couple of times with Canon DSLRs in the past. I those cases, it was due to a faulty contact between the body and lens. I simply cleaned the contacts on the lens as well as the body by lightly using a pencil eraser and making sure any eraser residue was removed. Do this with the body facing down so as to not have any tiny pieces of eraser to fall into the body.

There was one time where it was a faulty lens (Canon 85mm) which would cause the camera to lock up, but only when aiming the lens up like into a tree.

So....if you have more than one lens, see if it only locks up with a certain lens if cleaning the contacts doesn't solve the problem.

Our Canon R Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back