Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The green woodpecker is the largest of the three that breed in the UK. I've shot this beautiful male before but only through a closed window. Luckily this time the window was open so I managed to get a cleaner shot without frightening him away.

Green-Woodpecker-483A8604-2048px-H.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 320

Nice one and lucky you. I'm still waiting for a decent opportunity of a shot like this!

• Admin
Nice one and lucky you. I'm still waiting for a decent opportunity of a shot like this!
Thanks Dave. We've only recently moved to a more rural location so now we are spoiled by wildlife in the garden and nearby. The green woodpecker doesn't visit too often but the great spotted woodpeckers are daily visitors and lovely to watch.

Nice shot, Timothy!

Super shot, Timothy!

Very nice image. I know there are people who do not believe it is proper to do such things but one way to improve photo opportunities is to feed the birds or provide them something pleasing to them in the way of plantings. It is not necessary to make photos of garden birds that are obviously on a feeder but you can watch visitors that come to your feeders and see where they go before and after visiting the feeder. In my samples, The bluebird is next to a ragged hole in a vertical log stuffed with peanut butter. The woodpecker is on a stick near the feeder that he uses as a resting place before and after hopping to the seeds below. The Goldfinch was attracted to sunflowers which I just happened to plant right outside a window. All three are through glass, RP, RF600 f/11 with rather little cropping to balance. I'm 76 years old and prefer 'cheating' to not getting photos because I'm too tired to chase birds carrying a ton of camera gear through real nature. I do go outside but mostly for macro. Perhaps this will change when I get an R7 with better auto-focus. I'll never be anywhere where I can see a Green Woodpecker but I am attracted to the barb wire and post with excellent background. I wonder if my wife will let me put a (fake) fence in the yard.

Attachments

• 00bluebird5093.jpg
    00bluebird5093.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 00goldfinch4272.jpg
    00goldfinch4272.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 00redbelly3332.jpg
    00redbelly3332.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Admin
Thank you Douglas. I do have some feeders and perches set up in the garden to make life a lot easier for me :) Although I haven't spotted this green woodpecker in the garden yet. He enjoys pecking at the posts and searching for ants along a strip of land just outside of our garden. We have goldfinches too (the European ones) and they do love the sunflower hearts, they don't seem to care about the niger seed when the sun flower feeder is stocked. The barbed wire does make for a nice perch setup. We will be replacing our fence soon and not adding barbed wire to avoid our son injuring himself on it, but I might still add a small strip for a perch. Lovely photos, especially the woodpecker!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back