Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
One has to wonder what's up with Canon. They announced the RF 200-800mm last year back in early November. Some were shipped to stores and the major Youtube wildlife shooters were able to get a copy to review and test. And then no one has it. We are now into May, just about 7 months to the day when it was first announced and no one has it in stock. We are well past the supply chain issues from the Covid period so not sure what is up. We have heard rumors of the release of a R5 MkII and R1 before the Paris Olympics, wonder if the lens will be out by then as well.

Sorry, a bit frustrated as I have the money set aside for this lens and have missed several opportunities to use it.

... We are well past the supply chain issues from the Covid period so not sure what is up. ...
Not sure that the supply issues are over! I ordered a new car back in December and don't have it yet. They are saying June now.

Not sure what is going on - the R1 has been delayed - although I believe that is partly due to errors in the build / software, no one seems to know for certain.

One has to wonder what's up with Canon. They announced the RF 200-800mm last year back in early November. Some were shipped to stores and the major Youtube wildlife shooters were able to get a copy to review and test. And then no one has it. We are now into May, just about 7 months to the day when it was first announced and no one has it in stock. We are well past the supply chain issues from the Covid period so not sure what is up. We have heard rumors of the release of a R5 MkII and R1 before the Paris Olympics, wonder if the lens will be out by then as well.

Sorry, a bit frustrated as I have the money set aside for this lens and have missed several opportunities to use it.
If you're waiting for stock don't hold your breath. I was on a list a week before the official announcement hoping to get it in time to use it over the winter in FL. This is the first time my shop wasn't able to accommodate my order as a part of their first receipts - they only got one copy. I got mine the last week in March, their 3rd arrival. It was frustrating, but 2 weeks prior I was talking to a Canon rep about it and when I asked about quality questions they said, "I can't really tell you because I don't have mine yet." We both got ours from the same batch.

If you have one now in the US it's because you got on a list at the beginning. It's a specialty lens and not the kind of thing you're going to expect them to produce huge numbers of, even at the price. Lightweight glass is a complex manufacturing process, and when it gets this big it's even tougher. I'm not making excuses, just stating facts. When I started with Canon the 100-500mm had been out for 9 months and if you wanted one you needed to pay extra on eBay or find a used copy at barely any savings. Sure, you could blame supply chain issues then, but chips are still slow in coming.

All that said, if you want to pay a premium, Abe's of Maine seems to have one in stock

Oh now there's a trust worthy site! Of course Abe's would say an "F" stands for Fine.

I was just going to say something similar. I had a bad experience with Abe's when I bought my first Canon film camera, an Elan IIE, many years ago. This was before I had a computer and I ordered things via telephone back then. They tried the old bait and switch bit on me, then tried to make me feel like a loser for not wanting to buy a more expensive model and more expensive lenses in the packaged kit. This was all after initially telling me that yes, they had it in stock. When they realized that I didn't want to be upsold, they told me that suddenly the last one had just been sold and now they would have to order one for me and it would take about an extra week or something. I hung up on them and made my first of many purchases from B&H Photo.

And Dean, I am sure that the Abe's is because old honest Abe himself, Abe Lincoln, started the store when he lived in Maine after his Presidency..... :D

Panamoz had them in stock when I looked yesterday. I only ordered my 200-800 3,weeks ago and it arrived within the 10-14 days promised. Excellent company to deal with, highly recommended. You can’t pre order, keep watching and when in stock hit the buy button!

Another big thumbs up for Panamoz - always had outstanding service and the savings can be crazy good

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back