Gimbal or Ball head???

Woodbadger

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Layton
Greetings! I am a birdeatcher and have used a superzoom bridge camera (SX50) over hthe years mainly for record shots.
I recently got an R7/RF 100-400 combo to “up my game”. I am especially intrigued with shore birds and to that ends I am looking at building my own “ground pod”. I have purchased the iShoot collar but now I am a bit stuck as to how to mount it. I have seen implementations using both gimbal and ball heads. Seems like the gimbal is a bit of overkill for my kit, but could prove useful in future for a replacement of the QR4 bideo head on my Benro tripod, which is mainly haed to support my spotting scope. On the other hand I wonder about the lower price pint and smaller size of a ball head.
Anybody have any experience of this kind of setup (ground pod, tripod head, zoom lens) and preference for head type?
TIA

Solution
A full Gimbal would be your solution, then, although it's a bit of an overkill for the lens, but it's an essential tool for any serious bird photographers. Or, just connect the iShoot collar on a ball head directly. You'd just have to loosen the ball head knobs while shooting and tighten when done.
Thanks. Yes, I was thinking maybe overkill. Seeing as I will probably not be doing much high-speed panning and “up-down” for this particularapplication, I will probably go with a mid range ball head for now. In the future, if (when? Grin) I go with a bigger lens, I will look at getting a decent gimbal to accommodate both the ground pod AND my regular heavy duty tripod.
I've done a DIY "ground pod" using an old roasting pan, but for my deck bird photography. I've done another DIY "ground pod" with much smaller footprint. Either case, I used a ball head and a Gimbal "sidekick" (ProMediaGear GT2 Tomahawk), which isn't a full Gimbal. Alternatively, you'd also use Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal and mount it on a ball head.

Attachments

• 20190711_140229.jpg
    20190711_140229.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190711_140547.jpg
    20190711_140547.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 45
I've done a DIY "ground pod" using an old roasting pan, but for my deck bird photography. I've done another DIY "ground pod" with much smaller footprint. Either case, I used a ball head and a Gimbal "sidekick" (ProMediaGear GT2 Tomahawk), which isn't a full Gimbal. Alternatively, you'd also use Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal and mount it on a ball head.
Thanks for the reply and photos. Unfortunately the iShoot collardoes not allow for rotation since it has cutouts for the control buttons on the lens, so a side mount solution does not work for me.

A full Gimbal would be your solution, then, although it's a bit of an overkill for the lens, but it's an essential tool for any serious bird photographers. Or, just connect the iShoot collar on a ball head directly. You'd just have to loosen the ball head knobs while shooting and tighten when done.

Thanks. Yes, I was thinking maybe overkill. Seeing as I will probably not be doing much high-speed panning and “up-down” for this particularapplication, I will probably go with a mid range ball head for now. In the future, if (when? Grin) I go with a bigger lens, I will look at getting a decent gimbal to accommodate both the ground pod AND my regular heavy duty tripod.

Solution

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back