Guys and Gals with glasses

I have the same problem. Because I often go between the viewfinder and the screen, I have to keep my glasses on. I end up pressing them against the viewfinder and it doesn't feel comfortable. I ordered an eye cup. Not sure what to expect, but it was cheap enough to find out.

I have the same problem. Because I often go between the viewfinder and the screen, I have to keep my glasses on. I end up pressing them against the viewfinder and it doesn't feel comfortable. I ordered an eye cup. Not sure what to expect, but it was cheap enough to find out.
fill us in when you get it

Got the eye cup today. It is softer and has more cushion. However, I found myself pressing up against it just as hard as I would have with the original eye cup. I ended up reinstalling the original eye cup. FYI, I don't take off my glasses when using the view finder. I think this is just one of those things for us that wear glasses just have to deal with it. For those who don't wear glasses, this might work out well. Anyway, I think this is a "personal preference" kind of thing. Here is a link eye cup.

I shot without my lasses, just easier for me.

I tried to do that, but when I took my eye off the view finder, I couldn't focus on the screen. It would be much more comfortable if I didn't have to wear my glasses for sure.

I tried to do that, but when I took my eye off the view finder, I couldn't focus on the screen. It would be much more comfortable if I didn't have to wear my glasses for sure.
Try adjusting the viewfinder focus.

I’ve been in this situation for years.
It depends on the camera
It depends on your eyesight
It depends on how you shoot

Pretty vague, huh?
If the camera eyecup can’t accommodate your glasses, then you have to take your glasses off. But if your eyesight can’t be well corrected by the viewfinder, you need glasses. If you’re shooting continually and you’re moving a lot, it’s easier to keep the glasses off. But if you’re just walking around casually snapping a picture now and then, it’s probably easier to keep the glasses on.

I realize that makes me seem very vague, but it’s true! My R5 works great for me with or without glasses, so it boils down to how intently I’m working.

This is one of the things I dislike about aging, it gets harder to focus my eyes. I never wore glasses until I was 50 or so and then just over the counter reading glasses. Now I have bifocals but I just find it hard to wear glasses when shooting. I adjust the diopter but with my R and R7 I am almost at the far end of what you can adjust. They used to make slip on diopters for the eyepiece but I don't know if they do for the newer R cameras. When shooting my grandkids at sports like soccer I find I can't find them on the field if I move my eye away from the viewfinder. My eye doctor said someday if I have cataract surgery it will all be better. I just hope I'm not too old for photography.
Have you thought about contact lenses? They can solve a lot of the photography with glasses issues.

I shot without my lasses, just easier for me.
lasses, or glasses? Depending on the young ladies involved, or the glasses, I can understand how using a camera could be easier without either.... 🤣

I am mildly nearsighted but as I get older I am more reliant on using glasses for distance vision (TV, driving, etc.). But I just can get used to using them when shooting. Thankfully my eyes are still good enough that I can spot birds and movement at a distance even if I can't always tell what the bird is precisely. I may keep the glasses on 5% of the time if the conditions demand it, but that's about it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back