Has anyone tried using RF Extension Tubes on their RF nifty fifty?

wchjr56

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bill Hatch
I was wondering if this is a short term alternative to a macro lens while I decide if this is something I want to get into.

I just tried it after reading your comment and they are not compatible. I believe that the extensions will only work with the larger zoom lenses. I keep looking for a list of compatible lenses but cannot find one on the Canon website. I did however find a reference for RF Macro ring adapters that can do what you desire. As expected Adorama has them back-ordered. They are the Viltrox DG-EOS R Auto Focus Macro Extension Tube Lens Adapter for Canon EOS R and RP Camera. I have used the macro rings on the EF lenses and they work. I think the focusing will be all manual but I could be wrong.

The rings work as a crop sensor. They are placed between the lens and the camera body pushing the lens further away from the image sensor. You get a smaller center portion of the image cone from the lens on the sensor and this is how the macro image is achieved.

I think we are talking the same thing. These are the ones I was looking at on Amazon and they are in stock.

Meike MK-RF-AF1 13mm + 18mm Metal AF Full Frame Macro Extension Tube Adapter Ring Kit for for Canon EOS-R Series Cameras Canon RF Mount Cameras EOS-R EOS-RP

They are not much money and a hell of a lot cheaper then a macro lens but unsure if this will get me a good magnification.

Thanks
Understand that these are not the native Canon extension tubes as I do not think they are available yet (and more expensive I assure you) so the ability to pass through functions from the camera to the lens and back may(?) be an issue with aftermarket adapters. But, since you are purchasing from Amazon, they can be returned easily if you are not satisfied.

That might be the case but Meike makes an EF to ER adapter so they know the ER mount and pass thru for the lens electronics. I will see if any one else responds. If not I might go ahead and be the guinea pig

I think we are talking the same thing. These are the ones I was looking at on Amazon and they are in stock.

Meike MK-RF-AF1 13mm + 18mm Metal AF Full Frame Macro Extension Tube Adapter Ring Kit for for Canon EOS-R Series Cameras Canon RF Mount Cameras EOS-R EOS-RP

They are not much money and a hell of a lot cheaper then a macro lens but unsure if this will get me a good magnification.

Thanks
The Meike auto extension tubes work just fine. I have a set and have used them on my EOS R with the RF 24-105 f4 (the only RF lens I currently have). I've used other manual extension tubes with EF 50mm and other lenses in combination with an RF/EF converter and with reversing rings. Not had time to play with these and my R5, but they will work just the same. If you want to get to 1:1 macro with a 50mm lens then you will need a total extension of 50mm. Using both of these Meike extension tubes you will get 0.625X. If you want to go beyond 1:1 definitely reverse the 50mm lens so you have a bit of working room. Give it a go it's good fun - but be warned, it's a rabbit hole with no escape as you strive for greater and great magnification ;-)

PS. I highly recommend watching the videos from Allan Walls Allan Walls Photography YouTube Channel. He knows his stuff regarding macro photography.

Last edited:
Thanks - I have see the videos of taking older 50mm and 28mm lenses (ones were the aperture is manually controlled) and flipping them around. That is an interesting proposition as well. I also saw a video which shows how to force a modern day lense to a set aperture before flipping it. I am not sure there is an RF adapter that will let you go from the RF mount to a 43mm so that you can flip the RF 50mm. I guess I could go with the RF to EF adapter and flip a EF lens but then that adds a whole other dimension to this. Again rabbit hole as you said. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back