Hello from the "Hostess City of the South" - Savannah, GA, USA

Woodbadger

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Layton
Literally unboxed my R7 on Friday! I have the R7 RF-S 18-150mm plus the RF100-400mm tele. ALthough I have been taking photos for a LONG time (my first SLR was a Fujica ST-701 (c. 1976) this is my first foray into true digital photography.
My main use is for bird photography. So far I have used a Canon SX-50 mainly for ID shots, but with approaching retirement I want to expand my abilities. Until now I have done limited editing of JPEGs as provided by the SX-50 and Google Picasa.
The JPEGs I got this weekend are of much higher quality. But, BIG QUESTION, should I plan on shooting RAW or C.RAW in order to get the most out of my rig? Any recommendations about workflow, editors etc (is DPP4 good enough?) I don't want to buy into the whole Adobe universe (or other subscription based software services either.

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to learning and (eventually) contributing!!!

cheers!!
Ian Layton (Woodbadger)

Welcome Ian and thank you for joining up here. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement along with your early retirement present 🙂 Personally I shoot both JPEG and CRAW as 90% of the time I’m happy with the JPEGs but for the times that I’m not then the RAW is helpful. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to editing and rarely fiddle in Lightroom for longer than a few seconds. I will use Topaz Denoise AI to rescue noisy images if I really want to keep them. So I’m probably not the best person to ask editing questions! 😀 But if you have any questions about this forum I’ll try my best to help.

Welcome! I always shoot craw and jpeg. I mainly use jpegs unless I the lighting is not great then I edit either in LR or PS. I use DXO to denoise but now Adobe got a good denoise AI, I don’t use DXO as much.

Welcome Woodbadger! Looking forward to seeing your bird photos!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back