Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mara Lee
City/State
Atlanta, GA
I know most of us end up taking a LOT of photos. I just finished processing several hundred over the weekend. File storage, especially unlimited, costs money, and I have yet to commit to one place online as I feel they all have their pros and cons. Consequently, I have files stored in different online clouds and on external hard drives.

To cut down on the space needed, I've started using Jpeg Mini 3 Pro. It IS a paid app, but it really does do what it claims, and cuts down on the file size and frees up a lot of room on my cloud storage and hard drives, without sacrificing file quality. Files upload faster, and social media doesn't compress them into mud.

No, I get no kickback for mentioning it here, it's just a useful app and I'm happy to pass it along to others. You can download the free trial at:

https://www.jpegmini.com/ I used a promo code of "upgrade2020" after using the free trial and it still worked even thought it's now 2021. The promo code gives you 30% off so the standalone app is $41. You can use it on multiple computers. There is also a pro suite with Lightroom, Photoshop and Capture One plugins.

I did a batch conversion of over 700 files and it only took a minute or two and ran flawlessly. I saved myself over 10GB of disk space the first day I downloaded the app. Yeah, I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I have no affiliation with them whatsoever. I'm just happy to find a way to store and share jpgs without having them compressed into low-res ugliness.

I'm sceptical about the compression and your little or no loss of quality. For starters, JPG is compressed and quality is compromised. To squeeze again something got to give. I have 2x 1Tb hard drives and a 240Gb SSD only used for system and program files in my computer. I only ever put stuff in the clouds to share, then only temporally. hard drives are so cheap, when my computer was built I think I paid an extra £50 for 1 of the hard drives.

1TB will hold 125,000 24 Mb files. I just looked on eBay and a 3Tb drive cost £45. For less than £150 you can store 1,125,000 24Mb files

Your pictures, they have the same name and the same size

email them to me PM

Your pictures, they have the same name and the same size

email them to me PM

I must be blind. I don't see a place here OR on your profile to email or PM you?

You have a point. I just assumed the option was there.
Email me (address removed) if you are ok doing that

Last edited:
Pics have arrived. Will have a look now

OK. I'm convinced.

One of the files arrived as a file less than 2Mb. I could zoom to 5357 x 3648. it looked almost perfect. When you zoom in that much you are bound to see errors in any picture.

I will give the app a go and see how well I can edit a picture it after it has been through it. Not today though

Man, I'm not good at multitasking tonight. I went to download the photos I'd posted and accidentally deleted the entire post. Now it's not letting me upload again for some reason. I sent you a screenshot, Greg, showing the file info on both images. One shows image size of 9.1mg and the other 1.6mb, just like the text shows on the images.

I saw that. I don't think Gmail would compress files you send in email. It is remarkable how much detail survives in a file that is less than 1/4 of the original size

Please remove my email address from your message, just in case there are spammers about. Thanks

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back