nickhanson

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Nick Hanson
This image has a bit of a bitter sweet tale to it. I headed to the Quiraing for sunrise on this particular morning and had to wait a little for the light to show itself.

I was set up with a composition with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art lens attached to my R5 when I got this shot.

After I fired off a couple of frames I wanted to change over to my recently acquired RF 70-200mm f/2.8L lens, so that I could do a tighter composition of where the light was hitting the land.

For some reason I did things a little differently that morning, where I would normally take the camera off the tripod and change lenses at the bag, however this time I decided to take the 70-200mm to the camera and as I was about to detach the 50mm from the camera, the 70-200mm dropped out of my right hand. Now, I was standing on the edge of a rather steep drop and I watched the 70-200mm lens bounce off the ground next to my tripod before bouncing down the hill all the way to the bottom, with me chasing behind.

Having reached the bottom and picked up the lens it didn't look too bad, considering both lens and caps were not on the lens. The only visible damage was to the tripod mount and grasses and mud stuck to the lens. I decided that I would clean it off and test it upon my return home, however unfortunately it wasn't focusing so needed repairing. The estimate for the repair was actually more than I paid for the lens, so thankfully my insurance company paid for a brand new one. I get rather nervous about changing lenses now 🤣

_HP_3234.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art 014
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 100
🤣

Better the lens took a tumble than you Nick! One of the guys in my Sony Group took a tumble climbing over a gate. He was carrying the 600 F4 which broke in half and he fractured a few bones too! :(

This image has a bit of a bitter sweet tale to it. I headed to the Quiraing for sunrise on this particular morning and had to wait a little for the light to show itself.

I was set up with a composition with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art lens attached to my R5 when I got this shot.

After I fired off a couple of frames I wanted to change over to my recently acquired RF 70-200mm f/2.8L lens, so that I could do a tighter composition of where the light was hitting the land.

For some reason I did things a little differently that morning, where I would normally take the camera off the tripod and change lenses at the bag, however this time I decided to take the 70-200mm to the camera and as I was about to detach the 50mm from the camera, the 70-200mm dropped out of my right hand. Now, I was standing on the edge of a rather steep drop and I watched the 70-200mm lens bounce off the ground next to my tripod before bouncing down the hill all the way to the bottom, with me chasing behind.

Having reached the bottom and picked up the lens it didn't look too bad, considering both lens and caps were not on the lens. The only visible damage was to the tripod mount and grasses and mud stuck to the lens. I decided that I would clean it off and test it upon my return home, however unfortunately it wasn't focusing so needed repairing. The estimate for the repair was actually more than I paid for the lens, so thankfully my insurance company paid for a brand new one. I get rather nervous about changing lenses now 🤣

View attachment 64🤣
Wow that is an amazing landscape shot. So sorry to hear about your lens. Glad you were insured.

A very beautiful landscape image. Glad you got your lens replaced, I'll learn from your lesson and be ultra careful when changing lenses.

A very beautiful landscape image. Glad you got your lens replaced, I'll learn from your lesson and be ultra careful when changing lenses.
Thanks very much Andrea.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back