Motorsport - My Main Genre

David,
Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail, very much appreciated. Also, my hats off to you for capturing moments in adverse weather conditions as shown, that is a big no "Thank you" for me....lol. I'm a fair weather photographer....:) Off topic for a minute, is that part of your editorial assignment, or for your personal business, if I may ask?
I do not like exposing my equipment to the elements such as that, I would assume you had some form of rain protection for your gear while you were shooting?
Back to the lens, I hate a telescoping lens as much as the next person, I own the rf70-200, and used to own the ef100-400. As I mentioned I avoid rain at all costs, but for my shooting genre, dust is a huge factor. When I owned the 100-400 push/pull zoom, I would cringe as I heard it "breath" during zooming, and after, I would say a year later, internal dust became very obvious. On the RF 70-200, after two years of use during some pretty harsh shooting conditions times, I has yet to see signs of dust - but as you point out, seals wear and its likely to be only a matter if time.
Your concern for weather sealing has me rethinking this choice, after all of the great photographs I have seen taken with the 100-500, yours included. As most probably my last major lens purchase, I'm now back to leaning towards the 100-300 with teleconverters for addition reach.
Guess I will have to sell something to afford the purchase, I'm going to miss the wife and kids....lol

regards, Mark

Hey Mark - sorry lol.
The motorsport is my second 'job' I shoot for one club in particular as a freelance and have done for the last 15 years. Magazines etc. don't really pay anymore as a lot of the spectators send all there shots in for free, have to admit there are days (like the one in the previous post) where I really do question my vocation ;-) rain does make for some pretty good shots though (yes I know this one was with the 1DXmk2 but you get the point)
DP 26-10-19 0557.jpg
  • Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
  • EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III
  • 192.0 mm
  • Ć’/4
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 200

I tend to use a 'storm jacket' when the weather is threatening,

HELPFUL TIP: Next time you are near a charity (thrift) shop, buy a cheap non-lined waterproof jacket - cut the sleaves off and you have 2 very good rain covers that roll up really small. The elastic wrists fit over the lens hood ;-)

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back