Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Just in case you missed the news we have new firmware out for the R3, R5 and R6 this week.

R3 Version 1.7.1

R5 Version 2.0.0

R6 Version 1.8.4

The big change for the R5 and R6 is that Canon says they fixed situations were the camera would show the dreaded Err70. That should be good news for the people suffering from that.

There was also a recent update to EOS Utility. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix the Mac Sonoma issue.

I just checked to see if focus bracketing is now possible with the R5 using EFCS. It's not.

I just checked to see if focus bracketing is now possible with the R5 using EFCS. It's not.
This is interesting Archibald. I didn't know about this till your post. Even though I don't have the R5, but the R6 MK1, its the same before/after current firmware update. Enabled EFCS, then enabled Focus Bracketing and the shutter mode jumped to Electronic and now its greyed out. Thanks for your info.

This is interesting Archibald. I didn't know about this till your post. Even though I don't have the R5, but the R6 MK1, its the same before/after current firmware update. Enabled EFCS, then enabled Focus Bracketing and the shutter mode jumped to Electronic and now its greyed out. Thanks for your info.
Yes. It means we Canon users can't do focus bracketing with flash. (The R3 with the new Canon flash might be an exception.) It seems that Fuji and Olympus can do this, though.

R3 does it with any flash. I assume the ES readout on the other cameras is too slow to properly capture a flash exposure.

Did the update on my R3 on Friday, went out on Saturday and had my first 'error 60' turn camera off and back on, all good. . . . bit odd huh

Sure, but a mechanical shutter should work.
But not at the shake free 20fps (or 30fps in the R3/R6II/R8) the e-shutter is working at when focus stacking. For me, I value fps over flash, I have too many 7 legged dragonfly focus stacks already :)

Having said that, I am looking forward to a non-gripped R body that allows flash when stacking, natural light and denoising only get you so far.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back