Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Lately I have been experimenting with LrC panorama option. I'm usually shooting wildlife but constantly admiring the landscape. The problem is that there are shots very hard to achieve if what you have mounted in your camera is a zoom lens. I have tried carrying a second camera, in this case a Panasonic ZS100 and even a wide angle lens but none of these options satisfied me. Carrying extra things is not the best thing to do when you are already carrying a very heavy EF100-400L lens.

I have experience shooting Panoramas with my R7 and my ZS100 but in camera panoramas are not as good as LrC. I mean, some times you get good shots and other times not that good. That's my experience with both cameras.

In the last few days I have been shooting some panorama pictures but not in the traditional horizontal orientation but in the vertical orientation and what I can say, I loved the results.

Hey, they may not be perfect but I have enjoyed the process and to me that's what counts.

I tried horizontal panoramic shot with my 24-105 F4 L. I like the result. I have not tried the vertical panoramic shot yet. I will give it a try.

I’ve taken vertical panoramas a few times and they can work very well with the right subject.

My favorite vertical panorama pictures are always taken in churches. These are usually made up of 5-7 images and stitched in photomerge of Photoshop. Here are two examples from Lisbon, Portugal and Vienna, Austria:

Basílica dos Mártires - Lisbon, Portugal.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/15 sec
  • ISO 1600

St. Michael's Churh at Hofsburg - Vienna, Austria.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 1250

Wow! You left me speechless!
My favorite vertical panorama pictures are always taken in churches. These are usually made up of 5-7 images and stitched in photomerge of Photoshop. Here are two examples from Lisbon, Portugal and Vienna, Austria:

Wow! You left me speechless!
Thanks ctitanic. Taking such series of shots may seem a bit difficult, but that's not the case. If I can do it any one can do it. LOL Most important thing to mention - as I've done it many times earlier when on the spot - is not to forget to take these kinda shots. The little inconvenience is when we need to tell better half that we've still got something to do. But it pays off! :)

Thanks ctitanic. Taking such series of shots may seem a bit difficult, but that's not the case. If I can do it any one can do it. LOL Most important thing to mention - as I've done it many times earlier when on the spot - is not to forget to take these kinda shots. The little inconvenience is when we need to tell better half that we've still got something to do. But it pays off! :)
Question, do you refocus in each shot? In my case I focus on one point and then start shooting the sequence from the bottom up.

Question, do you refocus in each shot? In my case I focus on one point and then start shooting the sequence from the bottom up.
Yes, I do refocus on each shot by relying on AF. :)

Yes, I do refocus on each shot by relying on AF. :)
I tried that and it didn’t work well specially when you are not parallel to some objects, I should see the difference in of focuses in the join between pictures. I use back button focus so unless I keep it pressed AF will not work.

Amazing photos and great technique. That is something I must try.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back