Followers
Following
Name
Ed
City/State
Ottawa
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This thread is for closeup pics of insects and other small arthropods like spiders and centipedes. (Arthropod = creature with jointed legs.)

Here are two photos start it off.

Four-lined Plant Bug
R7_B3063 Four-lined Plant Bug-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 160

Red Admiral butterfly
R7_B3106 Red Admiral.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 160

And two more:

Sweat Bee on daisy
R7_B3233 Sweatbee.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 160

Bumpy-looking grasshopper.
R7_B3557 Grasshopper.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 160

You are doing some nice work. Keep it up. Many years ago I had the MP-E 65mm and the twin flash but just lost interest. I like viewing macros.

You are doing some nice work. Keep it up. Many years ago I had the MP-E 65mm and the twin flash but just lost interest. I like viewing macros.
I still have mine, but that lens is awful to use in the field. When you preset it for (say) 2x, then it is extremely difficult to find your (tiny) subject. While you are searching, the little bug notices the glass bearing down on it and it goes under the leaf. :mad:

It is a great lens in the macro studio, though. I mount it on a tabletop mount and can then adjust it as I wish.

I still have mine, but that lens is awful to use in the field. When you preset it for (say) 2x, then it is extremely difficult to find your (tiny) subject. While you are searching, the little bug notices the glass bearing down on it and it goes under the leaf. :mad:

It is a great lens in the macro studio, though. I mount it on a tabletop mount and can then adjust it as I wish.
I agree. It was too much of a specialty lens for me. I got much more use out of my 100 macro.

Hoverfly ready for takeoff. Taken last May in Indiana. Note the halteres (little paddles where the wings attach to the body). They are vestigial hind wings.
90_08881 Hoverfly.jpg
  • Canon EOS 90D
  • EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200

Nice job. Winter has started, and there are fewer bugs here. I like your hoverfly photo very much as it looks very natural.

Nice job. Winter has started, and there are fewer bugs here. I like your hoverfly photo very much as it looks very natural.
Thank you, Stephen. Feel free to post your bug pics here.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back