Post your BUG photos here

Nice images. Could you provide some background information - how much cropping is involved and how close can you get to, say, the fly with the 100mm macro before it takes fright and disappears? I’m thinking of taking advantage of Canon’s offers and treating myself to the 100mm macro. Thanks.

Nice images. Could you provide some background information - how much cropping is involved and how close can you get to, say, the fly with the 100mm macro before it takes fright and disappears? I’m thinking of taking advantage of Canon’s offers and treating myself to the 100mm macro. Thanks.
Thank you, Graham.

The working distance of the RF 100mm is around 11 cm (4 1/2 inches) at 1:1 magnification. Although the lens will magnify up to 1.4x, I find that hard to do in the field and usually shoot at something less. I crop to get the final photo. This shot was cropped about 50% linear (so to about 25% of the pixels). Cropping is no problem with the R7 because it has lots of pixels.

With the cited working distance, I have good luck shooting bugs. Some of them spook, though, and that is annoying. Crab spiders don't like my lens, nor do lady beetles and some other bugs. I still get shots of them, but it is harder. Flies are usually cooperative subjects. Those tiny iridescent longlegged flies can be a problem, though, because often they get spooked by the pre-flash. They are gone by the time the actual flash takes place. So I usually shoot manual flash, which doesn't do a pre-flash. That way I get one shot of them at least. :)

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you, Graham.

The working distance of the RF 100mm is around 11 cm (4 1/2 inches) at 1:1 magnification. Although the lens will magnify up to 1.4x, I find that hard to do in the field and usually shoot at something less. I crop to get the final photo. This shot was cropped about 50% linear (so to about 25% of the pixels). Cropping is no problem with the R7 because it has lots of pixels.

With the cited working distance, I have good luck shooting bugs. Some of them spook, though, and that is annoying. Crab spiders don't like my lens, nor do lady beetles and some other bugs. I still get shots of them, but it is harder. Flies are usually cooperative subjects. Those tiny iridescent longlegged flies can be a problem, though, because often they get spooked by the pre-flash. They are gone by the time the actual flash takes place. So I usually shoot manual flash, which doesn't do a pre-flash. That way I get one shot of them at least. :)

Let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks Ed. Very helpful.

A fly with red eyes, washing its hands. Taken last summer.

View attachment 23651

Wow! Excellent photo! I like it very much.

I used to take single shots for bugs. After buying the EOS-R7, to get more depth of field, I try to shoot in focus bracketing/depth composite mode.
This is one of the trials.

Object : fly
Camera : EOS-R7
Lens : EF 100mm f/2.8 macro IS
Distance : 0.3m ( Magnification ~1x )
Shooting mode : Av f/7.1 1/160s, ISO 1000, CRaw, handheld
Mode : in-camera focus bracketing / depth composite enabled, 10 shots, focus increment = 1
Post processed : Digital Photo Professional (stacking - TIF), Topaz Denoise AI (sharpness, denoise - Jpg)
Focus point : eye

cropped photo

DC_406A5421AT_F2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1000

Original uncropped photo

Clip_42.jpg

Size Estimation

EOS-R7 : 6960 x 4640MP, 22.3 x 14.8mm
width of fly in photo = 1943
size of fly = 1943 / 6960 x 22.3mm = 6.2mm

Observations
1. The depth of field was not enough to cover the whole body of the fly as the increment was too small
2. The focus point was not precise

I tried to crop the photo more

DC_406A5421RJ2.JPG
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1000

The other day, I tried to shoot with increment of 4
Shooting mode : Av f/8, 1/100s, ISO 1600, CRaw,handheld
Focus point : front wing (with magnified glass x 5)

DC_406A6851AT.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1600

The depth of field was adequate after using increments of 4

Last edited:
@Stephen , excellent work! The sharpness looks great to me, and you also have nice lighting. You did well with the slow shutter speed of 1/160 - in fact I would say it is amazing.

I want to try this technique too, when the bugs come back.

A couple of bugs from Ecuador -

Grasshoppers in love

M2_G6130 Grasshoppers.jpg
  • Canon EOS 7D Mark II
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 125

Leafhopper, Raphirrhinus sp.

M2_G6150 Leafhopper, Raphirrhinus sp.jpg
  • Canon EOS 7D Mark II
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 500

This is an Eight-spotted Flea Beetle, seen in Costa Rica.

R7_C4405 Eight-spotted Flea Beetle.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

R7_C4373 Eight-spotted Flea Beetle.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 500

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back