Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
Where do you want Canon's R&D to go.

It seems Canon might be putting Pleasant pictures over high Quality pictures as the objective for future cameras. What are your options?

We buy expensive high quality equipment to get high quality images.

It's just my opinion but I believe this is a Marketing/Language thing. I find it hard to believe that a company that has such a big share of the market would forsake their technology research for what some are terming "pleasant image quality". When we look at an image that is shot with the best they have to offer, we judge that image overall as to the feeling or emotions it evokes. This is much more than a technically sharp and "high quality" image but takes into effect the aesthetics of the image. If you look at the time many put in making the little adjustments and tweaks to their image to "get to"the picture that is in their mind's eye, this often tends to change or "destroy" the technological aspects of the picture in pursuit of the artistic goals.

Joel Grimes is a master at this ( https://portfolio.joelgrimes.com )

It is in fact the technical capabilities of the camera and lenses that allow this to be done effectively. You start with the "real world" and add your vision to create the final image. As the new owner of Canons RF 85mmF1,2 DS lens, I can attest to the inclusion of technology in pursuit of this "pleasant image quality". The addition of the Defocus Smoothing (DS) elements in front of and behind the focal plane of the lens is intentional in pursuit of the bokeh smoothing to enhance the image end results. This is in fact the use of technology to produce a "pleasant image".

They have also included this new technology integration into their new RF 100mm Macro lens based on the reviews and marketing data.

JMHO ;) (y)

I don't think those concept camera are going to be at the level of the "R" series. Might be more like point & shot types but that is only my opinion.

I don't think those concept camera are going to be at the level of the "R" series. Might be more like point & shot types but that is only my opinion.
I think you are correct on this but if their research finds good technology that can provide enhancements to any of their higher-end cameras then we all may benefit from the research. Every time I buy a new Canon camera, it's packed with more stuff. ;) Much of the tech with regards to automation of timelapse and HDR finds its way into the lower-end cameras because it assists the shooter. If you offer me an option that makes my shooting easier and/or more reliable regardless of where the research was conducted I want a firmware upgrade to my very expensive camera.

First, we need to be sure what a "concept camera" is. Some of you will not remember when the transistor arrived in mass production and there were cameras with radios, or visa vers, that was a concept! The modern concept could be a visor with a built-in lens and a picture is recorded just by thinking of it.

The market for cameras in general has fallen 6+ fold in 7 years. The likes of R series cameras as a very small portion. Canon, if it wants to survive, needs a product that appeals to the general public, who would not use a R5 even if they could get one for £500 including a lens.

If I need to capture a picture and have a simple camera, such as a Canon M100, and a mobile phone to hand my preference is for the M100. For me the phone, my Samsung Galaxy A70, requires far too many key presses to get to the position to get a picture.

If I can get a "pleasant picture" from a micro lens clipped to my glasses and blue toothed to my phone without getting it out of my pocket, I would get it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back