Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Is C1 C2 C3 and My menu setting in essance the same thing but you can only hae 6 parameters in my menu?

Or ive got that way wrong?

Peter…

I'll answer by way of examples used on my R5:
  • C1 : my choice of how the camera is set for landscape / general
  • C2 : my choice of how the camera is set for macro
  • C3 : my choice of how the camera is set for birds in flight

• Choosing C1 (general) will instantly set Tv and Av to manual (1/500 & max aperture), ISO to auto, shutter to electronic first curtain, drive to single.
  • Choosing C3 (birds in flight) will instantly set Tv and Av to manual (1/2000 & max aperture), ISO to auto, shutter to electronic, drive to H+.

By contrast My Menu provides shortcuts to your 'favourites' in the Menu system—no need to hunt for where 'Format Card' or 'Customize Buttons' are because you've assigned each to one of the six choices in My Menu.

Please note that you can have multiple 'pages' of six My Menu favourites.

… David

Last edited:
I believe it’s six items per page. You can add pages to my menu with more items as well. These are just frequently used menu item shortcuts. Helpful for things that are buried in other menus.

Peter…

I'll answer by way of examples used on my R5:
  • C1 : my choice of how the camera is set for landscape / general
  • C2 : my choice of how the camera is set for macro
  • C3 : my choice of how the camera is set for birds in flight

• Choosing C1 (general) will instantly set Tv and Av to manual (1/500 & max aperture), ISO to auto, shutter to electronic first curtain, drive to single.
  • Choosing C3 (birds in flight) will instantly set Tv and Av to manual (1/2000 & max aperture), ISO to auto, shutter to electronic, drive to H+.

By contrast My Menu provides shortcuts to your 'favourites' in the Menu system—no need to hunt for where 'Format Card' or 'Customize Buttons' are because you've assigned each to one of the six choices in My Menu.

Please note that you can have multiple groups of six My Menu favourites.

… David
Love the detail you have here. Going to have to review my custom modes and “My Menu” to see if minor tweaks are needed.

For C1 and C2, I have it set for aperture priority with a minimum shutter speed of 1/500th and 1/1000th, respectively. Mechanical shutter. Different sports and different available light. H+. Wide open aperture. Auto ISO. Subject tracking to people with whatever the stickiest case is.

For C3, I keep my bulb mode fireworks setting in there.

My set up
C1 - Birds/Animals on the move TV and continuos shooting
C2 - People, AV single shot
C3 - General use, set to AV single shot (without the people focus)

Great thing about these is you can set them up exactly how you want, and is a very quick way to change everything if the situation you are shooting changes.

have c1 for lightning and the intricate settings needed to make stepping stone lightning triggers function
c2 birds in flight with bbfocus
c3 the astro setting with bbf function disabled as intervtolmeter doesnt function with it set up

When setting up a Custom Shooting Mode (C1, C2, C3), the first thing to choose is the Mode (from the following):
  • Fv: Flexible Priority Auto Exposure
  • P : Program Auto Exposure
  • Tv: Shutter Priority Auto Exposure
  • Av: Aperture Priority Auto Exposure
  • M : Manual Exposure
For example, my C3 (for birds in flight) is based on M (so-called Manual Exposure). I can tweak my C3 settings (shutter, drive, etc.) and save these as the new defaults for C3, but I cannot change having C3 based on M (to Av or Tv, perhaps) without starting all over again.

This is based on my understanding of the R5.

… David

Last edited:
Is C1 C2 C3 and My menu setting in essance the same thing but you can only hae 6 parameters in my menu?

Or ive got that way wrong?
C1 C2 C3 are your customized shooting modes. For example, as a person who does mostly bird photography, C1 is set up for bird portraits, C2 for birds in flight, and C3 for landscape. My Menu, on the other hand, is an organization of your culled menu items into a quickly accessible location. For example, I do "Format card" most frequently, so I placed this in My Menu for quick access.

One thing that should be programmed along with C1 C2 C3 is assigning a button that would instantly go from C1 to C2 to C3 to M. Since the "M-Fn" button is closest to and just above the shutter button, that's the button that I've programmed to instantly go from one customized shooting mode to the next. While shooting in C1, which is programmed for bird portraits, and I suddenly see a BIF opportunity, it's just a quick press of the "M-Fn" button that puts me in customized BIF shooting mode instantaneously. Changing the mode manually takes too much time and potential loss of opportunities. So, for me, C1 C2 C3 M-Fn all go together as one category of customized shooting modes.

The M-Fn button is… programmed to instantly go from one customized shooting mode to the next.
This is really helpful, bordering on essential, if using the C1, C2 and C3 modes is a major part of how you operate your R-series camera.

This option is available on the R5 and a few other R-series cameras (R3 and R6?—please let us know if you have either).

Later today I'll add an explanatory reply to this thread which will explain how to program the M-Fn button.

… David

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back