PGM

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paul
Has anyone else had difficulty calibrating the eye focus control? It will calibrate on my left eye but fails on my right eye which is an issue as I am right handed. I have tried with and without glasses, switch on and off in the menu. I checked the manual but nothing much in there.
Thanks.

Hi Paul. I don't have an R3 so I can't help much here unfortunately, although I hired one for a few days and didn't have any calibration issues. Searching our R3 Shooters Facebook Group and a few members there suggested the following:
  • Just try it few more times. It took few tries for me too (same message) but then it started to work perfectl
  • I have to really cram my face in... works really well the more I calibrate it
  • Try outdoor in daylight, it's much easier for first calibration. I also use left eye, no issues
And you might have already seen these tips from the manual:

Enhancing eye control accuracy​

The camera can learn about eye characteristics from the calibration data it collects.
  • Eye control accuracy can be improved by repeating calibration under various levels of brightness (such as indoors, outdoors, during the day, and at night) for the same calibration number.
  • To use eye control in each camera orientation, repeat calibration for the same calibration number with the camera held horizontally and vertically with the grip up and down.
  • Keep the following tips in mind when performing calibration or using eye control.
    • Look into the viewfinder so that the four corners of the screen appear evenly spaced.
    • Look at the subject.
    • Avoid squinting.
    • Avoid blinking.
    • During calibration, look through the viewfinder as you do when shooting.
    • If you use glasses, wear them correctly.
    • In calibration outdoors, prevent sunlight from entering the viewfinder.
    • Use Eyecup ER-hE (sold separately, ).
    • Block out sunlight, to the extent possible, by keeping your face close to the viewfinder.
    • If it is difficult to perform calibration or eye control correctly, try keeping both eyes open as you look through the viewfinder.

If eye control seems inaccurate​

• Eye control may be less accurate if your eye is off-center, relative to the viewfinder. Adjust how you are holding the camera to your face, so that the four corners of the screen appear evenly spaced.
  • Eye control may be less accurate if you point the camera downward during calibration. Hold the camera straight when performing calibration.

I can't use it. Shooting fast, player sports, your eye is continually scanning the frame for a "moment" which makes eye control seem like a good idea but, in practise, it's impossible track player and scan with your eye at the same time. My experience, anyway.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back