Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Wilson
City/State
Allen/Texas
I had made up my mind that I was not going to take the two R3's that I have coming with the first shipment. That was prior to this past weekend when Canon showed up with a shiny new R3 for me to test. My gear consists of two 5DSR's, a 1DXIII and two R5's so I'm used to great cameras. The 24MP sensor in teh R3 was the reason I had decided to pass, just spoiled by big beautiful files. I was shooting a three day air show when Canon brought me the R3 so I put my 100-500RF on it, programmed the eye controlled AF function and began blazing away. I had heard that the AF Eye control took some time to get comfortable with, that was not my experience. The camera performed flawlessly and the AF was very intuitive, I found that my eye was exactly on my subject and so was the focus point. Just for fun I shifted my eye from one Blue Angel to another and in an instant, the other one became the focal point, so natural and eliminates any focus hunting . The camera was set on mechanical shutter and I left it there, but on the highest frame rate available, post processing confirmed what I was seeing in the viewfinder, the keeper rate was as close to 100% as any camera I have ever shot with. The ergonomics are great, the oversized viewfinder is wonderful. Over the few days I had the R3 I shot over 20,000 images, more than enough to convince me that the focus acuity, and tonal qualities of the 24MP sensor would serve me well.

Attachments

• 096A7056RT1ALweb.jpg
    096A7056RT1ALweb.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 221
I had made up my mind that I was not going to take the two R3's that I have coming with the first shipment. That was prior to this past weekend when Canon showed up with a shiny new R3 for me to test. My gear consists of two 5DSR's, a 1DXIII and two R5's so I'm used to great cameras. The 24MP sensor in teh R3 was the reason I had decided to pass, just spoiled by big beautiful files. I was shooting a three day air show when Canon brought me the R3 so I put my 100-500RF on it, programmed the eye controlled AF function and began blazing away. I had heard that the AF Eye control took some time to get comfortable with, that was not my experience. The camera performed flawlessly and the AF was very intuitive, I found that my eye was exactly on my subject and so was the focus point. Just for fun I shifted my eye from one Blue Angel to another and in an instant, the other one became the focal point, so natural and eliminates any focus hunting . The camera was set on mechanical shutter and I left it there, but on the highest frame rate available, post processing confirmed what I was seeing in the viewfinder, the keeper rate was as close to 100% as any camera I have ever shot with. The ergonomics are great, the oversized viewfinder is wonderful. Over the few days I had the R3 I shot over 20,000 images, more than enough to convince me that the focus acuity, and tonal qualities of the 24MP sensor would serve me well.
Can you put a small object in a cluttered background to replicate something like a bird in a leafy bush and then try to focus instantly on it?
Also, can you tell me how fast the start up time is, from sleep mode to taking a shot...the R5 seems to take an age.

Those are the two dislikes I have using my R5 compared to a DSLR.
TIA Dave

Can you put a small object in a cluttered background to replicate something like a bird in a leafy bush and then try to focus instantly on it?
Also, can you tell me how fast the start up time is, from sleep mode to taking a shot...the R5 seems to take an age.

Those are the two dislikes I have using my R5 compared to a DSLR.
TIA Dave
Focus lock on is instantaneous, even with a cluttered background, especially if you have eye control on. The camera starts up very quickly.

Focus lock on is instantaneous, even with a cluttered background, especially if you have eye control on. The camera starts up very quickly.
Thanks for that inside info! Have you found that single point AF is tricky with the R5 where the subject is in a cluttered background as a comparison? And is the R3 faster than the R5 at start up? I should have asked that before as you have both!!

Thanks for that inside info! Have you found that single point AF is tricky with the R5 where the subject is in a cluttered background as a comparison? And is the R3 faster than the R5 at start up? I should have asked that before as you have both!!
Hi Dave, I believe the R3 is faster in waking up. I know exactly what you are referencing re: AF on teh R5. I love the camera, but I have missed numerous shots while it hunts in the sky for an aircraft. I end up trying to chase the subject wit the center spot while the camera pops in and out of focus, very frustrating. Good news is, in 20,000 shots, it never happened, not once.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have decided to pass on the R3 when it comes in. My opinion of the camera has not changed, it's an incredible piece of technology, but I have given it a great deal of thought and here's my reasoning. Biggest factor is the firmware update on the R5, it narrows the AF gap between the two cameras by just enough to make one wonder whether it's worth six grand to close the gap the rest of the way. A second factor is feedback from R3 recipients who love the camera, but are still having lingering doubts about dropping back to 24MP, and say that they will be keeping their R5's close at hand. The third factor is knowing that whenever the R1 is released, I'll be getting two of them, and even if it's a year from now, $6000 is kind of a chunk to toss out there when the updated R5 will serve me well until they arrive.

My reasons shouldn't deter anyone else from getting an R3 and loving it, they just make sense for me at this point. I'm guessing that mine would have come in sometime in the next few weeks, but if Canon's press release about taking up to a year to fill orders is anywhere near accurate, some folks might be getting their R3's about the time the R1 ships;).

Whilst I agree with your logic on mp's if they are having problems with supplying R3's I can't see any further releases until they are resolved.

Whilst I agree with your logic on mp's if they are having problems with supplying R3's I can't see any further releases until they are resolved.
Under normal circumstances I would agree, but try to find an R5 on the shelf today, yet they are "shipping" R3's.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back