Birds R5 vs R7

Here's one article that's not application specific:

Considering, it may not be that easy because each image would be identifiable by its size, I suppose. Well, it was a thought.

Considering, it may not be that easy because each image would be identifiable by its size, I suppose. Well, it was a thought.
Hi Paul,

Good point, well made… :)

However, still worth a punt so I’ll make the files available and start a thread in the Editing/ Processing forum - it will be tomorrow now though as we’re currently conducting an experiment into the effects of drinking a bottle of chilled Sauvignon Blanc…

Cheers,

P&K

Karen had just got her R7 and this was her first outing with it (random camera settings may have applied) - and it was my first attempt at post-processing the R7 raw files (random button pressing may have applied), so we were both still getting to grips with our respective side of things. As far as I can recall, the colour renderings for both were applied in DxO PhotoLab Elite (though I may have been playing around with the many options, seeing which produced the best outcome).
Colour management in DxO PL is a bit of a dark art :) The DxO forum has a thread where users attempt to create a flow chart to see what DxO is doing, it isn't documented!
What I do when needing DxO is selecting “Export to DNG with NR and optical corrections only”, importing the resulting DNGs into Lightroom and then applying the colour profile. If you do use the built-in profile for the R7 in DxO, it's a lot better than the Adobe one.

Looking at the untouched raw files again (in Lr C), they look pretty similar, though I'd agree the R7 maybe has a touch less warmth/ pop colour saturation-wise - not sure why, they were taken within moments of each other, though with subtly different settings. Now I've grown a little more accustomed to processing the R7 files (my DxO custom Preset is kind-of getting there), I may have another go at these when time permits and compare the outcomes to my original edits.
I personally hadn't noticed how bad LR rendered M6II/R7 colours till I took a close up portrait of my daughter, who was wearing a fuchsia coloured coat.
I can only describe the skin tone as 'zombie grey' and the fuchsia was very washed out...
[...] In terms of colour/ colour profiles, I've never tried the colorfidelity ones, though I know they have a very good reputation and were the 'go to' solution for many pre-Adobe Camera Matching Profiles. When this condition existed I used custom profiles which I created for each of our cameras (and sometimes specific shoots) with the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 system. [...]
... so I did the same thing as you, created a profile with the Passport. That was a massive improvement, but the skin tone was still a bit off. The colorfidelity profiles did give me proper skin tone, at the cost of slightly less accurate, but more pleasing colours.
So any pictures with people in them get the colorfidelity profile applied for sure, pictures without people receive a little more creative freedom :)

I also discovered that my Sigma 150mm macro lens has a slight yellow colour cast compared to the Canon lenses, which I don't mind, since I prefer a slightly warmer picture most of the time.

Hi koenkool,

Many similarities to our workflows (I also export to DNG from DxO as this gives me the flexibility to keep fiddling about if things veer off-piste).

I occasionally process a raw of the Passport using different options and then compare the results (this usually results in me having to lie down).

We don't shoot many portraits, but a lot of them end up as B&W... :D

Note the heron raw files are available for download Here.

Phil

Last edited:

Hi Paul/ everyone following the thread,

The raw files have been made available - see this post in the Editing/ Processing Forum.

Phil

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back