Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I had noticed this problem a while back but it really was a problem when I was doing macro work in Costa Rica. When I try to use my focusing ring on any lens to over-ride the autofocus it just doesn't work. My R6 works just fine. At first I thought it was the 100mm macro lens, but then I tried all my other lenses and it is not a lens issue (I even tried my lens on someone elses camera to be sure). I am in Servo AF mode
I have reset my entire camera settings from the reset (yellow menu #5) tried the basic first then everything other than the root certificate.

Anyone have any ideas or am I doomed to send the camera to Canon and hope for the best?

TIA

Did you specifically turn on the setting for it? In R6 I had to allow "Manual focus anytime" or something along those lines for that to work.

The control ring needs to be explicitly assigned to do that, I think it maybe something else by default?

Maybe you have Disable in AF mode "ON" ?

mf1.jpg
mf.jpg

Oh, and actually Im pretty sure it doesn't work in servo mode, at least for me. Only works in one-shot focus.

Last edited:
Did you specifically turn on the setting for it? In R6 I had to allow "Manual focus anytime" or something along those lines for that to work.

Oh, and actually Im pretty sure it doesn't work in servo mode, at least for me. Only works in one-shot focus.
Yes, the manual focus anytime is on. It doesn't work in servo or one-shot. On my R6 I didn't have "Manual focus anytime" set and it still works in servo mode, I don't get the distance bar but I can focus on something then change the focus with the focus ring on any lens.

Yes, the manual focus anytime is on. It doesn't work in servo or one-shot. On my R6 I didn't have "Manual focus anytime" set and it still works in servo mode, I don't get the distance bar but I can focus on something then change the focus with the focus ring on any lens.
Hmm I'll try it.

And sorry, I wrote about the control ring above - you're talking specifically about the focus ring. That should just work if you allow electronic AF anytime...
It's a little concerning that I've seen quite a few posts about R5/R6 having issues. Canon dropping the ball.
I had my shooting settings randomly reset to some default a few days ago. I think someone had mentioned that happening as well at some point.

I had my shooting settings randomly reset to some default a few days ago. I think someone had mentioned that happening as well at some point.
That's unnerving. I haven't had that issue, yet! I hope you didn't have a hard time resetting it.

And canon is giving me an estimate of $530 to repair the camera.

That's unnerving. I haven't had that issue, yet! I hope you didn't have a hard time resetting it.
It was only a handful of immediate settings in Aperture Priority I think, mostly I was surprised with focus mode going to servo while I had been using single shot. I'm half-doubting that that actually happened, but almost certain it did. Perhaps I pressed something? It was really hot at the time, and maybe it overheated? I was not able to replicate it and none of the saved settings like Custom functions or customizations were impacted.

And canon is giving me an estimate of $530 to repair the camera.
Not too bad considering it's a 4k body. But things like this should be covered by warranty, and I guess you've had yours for quite a while? Hopefully no more issues in its lifetime once you get it serviced.

What lens are you using? The Electronic Full-Time Manual Focus override doesn't work with all lenses, and says so in the Info section of that setting. I stuck the 100mm macro on my R5 and no, it doesn't work on mine either.

No idea why this isn't universal for Canon. My 100-500mm didn't work when I first got my combo but it was added in a firmware. I would have expected the 100mm to work, but perhaps with the macro function Canon is reading minds and thinking we'd want one or the other but not an override because the focus sensitivity of macro photography?!

The Info screen says there's a list of supported lenses on the Canon website, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I stuck the 100mm macro on my R5 and no, it doesn't work on mine either.
I override focus on my 100mm macro all the time on the R6, but it only works in single shot. Maybe as Hali said, in servo mode or still overrides but doesn't show the distance bar, I'll have to check.

Is R5 that different?

I override focus on my 100mm macro all the time on the R6, but it only works in single shot. Maybe as Hali said, in servo mode or still overrides but doesn't show the distance bar, I'll have to check.

Is R5 that different?
Didn't try it in single shot. The 100-500mm will override regardless of mode.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back