Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I had noticed this problem a while back but it really was a problem when I was doing macro work in Costa Rica. When I try to use my focusing ring on any lens to over-ride the autofocus it just doesn't work. My R6 works just fine. At first I thought it was the 100mm macro lens, but then I tried all my other lenses and it is not a lens issue (I even tried my lens on someone elses camera to be sure). I am in Servo AF mode
I have reset my entire camera settings from the reset (yellow menu #5) tried the basic first then everything other than the root certificate.

Anyone have any ideas or am I doomed to send the camera to Canon and hope for the best?

TIA

I override focus on my 100mm macro all the time on the R6, but it only works in single shot. Maybe as Hali said, in servo mode or still overrides but doesn't show the distance bar, I'll have to check.

Is R5 that different?
The R5 in this case is that different. Dang it

What lens are you using? The Electronic Full-Time Manual Focus override doesn't work with all lenses, and says so in the Info section of that setting. I stuck the 100mm macro on my R5 and no, it doesn't work on mine either.

No idea why this isn't universal for Canon. My 100-500mm didn't work when I first got my combo but it was added in a firmware. I would have expected the 100mm to work, but perhaps with the macro function Canon is reading minds and thinking we'd want one or the other but not an override because the focus sensitivity of macro photography?!

The Info screen says there's a list of supported lenses on the Canon website, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Well, I'll be darned. And you saved me @$600.00. The only lens on that list that I have is the 100-500 and it *does* work. Why the others don't is beyond me. Especially the 100 macro You would think that of all lenses that should work. I want to override my autofocus all the time with it. What a stupid move on Canon's part. Here's where I go to the forums and beg for them to put that functionality in the next firmware release. (as if they'd listen).

The really weird thing is that the tour leader on my Costa Rica tour has an RF 100 and the R5 and it worked on his body!

Thanks for digging up the list.

Because I'm never happy I kept going through things until I found that it does work. With a caveat

In the AF (purple menu) under Lens electronic MF (#4) it needs to be set to the second item - single shot-enable
Then you have to hold down the shutter button halfway to make it work.

Works with the 100mm macro, 14-35mm f/4, and the 50mm f/1.8 STM it does not work on the 24-240 strangely enough.

I still for the life of me can't understand why it works without this workaround on my R6 and it works fine with the 24-240 on that camera too.
But I will put it to rest for a while now and wait to see what Canon comes back with from my support inquiry.

In the AF (purple menu) under Lens electronic MF (#4) it needs to be set to the second item - single shot-enable

Ahh yes, that is a setting I have turned on and believe it didn't work without it. I enabled it on the first or second day and forgot it existed. I wish I had remembered it or realized that that could be the problem.

Just checked with the servo - manual focus doesn't work. Servo keeps overriding it.

On my R7 that limitation doesn't apply - I can keep the AF menu set to enable both Servo and Full Time Manual all the time - which means that on the ultra-small RF lenses like the 16mm f/2.8 that have only one ring that's switchable between Control and Focus, that switch is all I have to toggle - there's no menu-diving necessary to turn on manual focus while in AF. This means I can set that ring to Focus, use it to get the focus "in the ballpark" - and Servo will take over.

My main use for it is on the RF 70-200mm f/4 L at indoor events, shooting at a distance,

Here's the more recent version of that compatibility list.

It lists many more lenses as compatible with the R3, R6 Mark II, R7, R8 and R10, but for some reason doesn't have columns for the R, RP, R5, and original R6.

Don't know why it shows the RF 16mm f/2.8 as supported but not the RF 50mm f/1.8, which shares the same physical packaging.

Fortunately, I don't really need it for my 50 f/1.8, which has no problem with AF in low light.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back