Canon R7 R7 First Impressions

Snappy St Loes

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
I took delivery of the R7 and took it out for a spin yesterday. In short a brilliant camera. No discernible difference in image quality compared to the R5 and yes, the latter has a slight advantage in low light situations. I have to say the R7's eye detect auto-focus was a lot more sure-footed than the R5's in that it was less distracted by the surrounding foliage. Only one slight grumble - the control layout is different between the two cameras in and the the lack of a third dial. No worries, until now I've never had use of the control ring on the RF glass until now as this has been configured to set/adjust ISO as changing this in-camera is a bit fiddly. The big plus is that all my lenses have increased their reach by a factor of 1.6. My thinking now is to have the RF 800 permanently attached to the R7 leaving the R5 to deal with other photo opportunities without the anxiety of of not having my principle birding glass available should something interesting flies into view!

4E1A0549_DxO.jpg 4E1A0556_DxO (2).jpg 4E1A0563_DxO.jpg

Yes, I think Canon changes the controls layout on purpose just to catch us up! I shoot with the R and before my R7 the 7D MkII which both have different layouts.

Always the case Chris. Us boys with our toys! I'd agree that the layout should have been consistent on the R7 with other Canon bodies. What's your view on the gadgety side of the R7?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back