RF 70 - 200 - Debating if I should buy one.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Kathryn Milner

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Kathryn Milner
I have contemplated purchasing an RF 70 - 200 f4 but I want to limit the weight in my camera bag. I also have limited space in my camera bag without using a bigger, heavier one. I have an RF 100 - 500. I know the 70 to 200 is lighter but is there any benefit to shooting with a 70 - 200 over what I can shoot with the 100 - 500 other than weight.

hi kathryn ... first thoughts are the reach and the difference in aperture between the two. depending on the subject this may or may not be an issue, though. the 70-200 may be more versatile and the constant aperture will keep the background in check throughout the range. the 100-500 has outstanding reach and with enough subject-to-background separation will certainly keep the things in check as well but it some situations it may not be what's desired. but, if you need the reach it may not matter. :)

hi kathryn ... first thoughts are the reach and the difference in aperture between the two. depending on the subject this may or may not be an issue, though. the 70-200 may be more versatile and the constant aperture will keep the background in check throughout the range. the 100-500 has outstanding reach and with enough subject-to-background separation will certainly keep the things in check as well but it some situations it may not be what's desired. but, if you need the reach it may not matter. :)
Thanks so much for those thoughts! Great advice.

Last edited:
Choice of lens is down to what you intend photographing. If you have the 100-500 I personally would be more interested in the 70-200 f2.8 for the bokeh it produces and it's better low light capabilities. That said I bought the EF version a few years ago as it was in the more affordable range of glass and I thought I'd get more use out of it than I have done. My primary interest is wildlife photography and it lacks reach most of the time other when I have been on safari trips or had the subject very, very close. It's come in to it's own during lockdown when I discovered I have Badgers visiting our garden and I set up a fully illuminated film set for these shy nocturnal creatures. The lens was pretty much perfect at a distance of just under 15 feet. I guess if you want to photograph sport, especially indoors it might be a great choice as the subject matter is large, likewise concerts etc. The f4 version doesn't really give you that much more than you already have imo.
The attached image was shot with the 1DX2 and as yet I haven't tried with the R5 which has the advantage of the silent electronic shutter!
Badger.jpg
  • Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
  • EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 4000

Thanks so much Dave. Similar to you I do mostly wildlife. Thank you for your comments. That badger picture is wonderful.

I have contemplated purchasing an RF 70 - 200 f4 but I want to limit the weight in my camera bag. I also have limited space in my camera bag without using a bigger, heavier one. I have an RF 100 - 500. I know the 70 to 200 is lighter but is there any benefit to shooting with a 70 - 200 over what I can shoot with the 100 - 500 other than weight.
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...s-of-stabilization-on-the-canon-eos-r5-and-r6 maybe this article will help ....

You might gain in IS but you certainly lose on flexibility as this lens can not be used with a TC which amazed me when I found out. The EF version works really well with EF TC's.

Thanks so much for those thoughts! Great advice.
He makes a good point but I have yet to find a situation where my 100-500 does not work quite well. That being said, I often ask people who ask why so many, well let's just say lenses. I usually respond by asking if they play golf. If the answer is affirmative or if they are even a bit familiar they will recognize the bag full of clubs, each a tool for a specific situation. Canon makes lots and lots of "clubs" for your camera bag. You just have to pay for them and plan well for each outing so you can take just what you need. I on the other hand try and bring it all and that explains my bad knees. :ROFLMAO: ;)

There are only three real equipment challenges for most photographers, can I buy another lens, will I have the lens I need with me when I need it, can I make what I did bring work. Let's not even get into flashes and flash triggers ... :unsure::cool:

He makes a good point but I have yet to find a situation where my 100-500 does not work quite well. That being said, I often ask people who ask why so many, well let's just say lenses. I usually respond by asking if they play golf. If the answer is affirmative or if they are even a bit familiar they will recognize the bag full of clubs, each a tool for a specific situation. Canon makes lots and lots of "clubs" for your camera bag. You just have to pay for them and plan well for each outing so you can take just what you need. I on the other hand try and bring it all and that explains my bad knees. :ROFLMAO: ;)

There are only three real equipment challenges for most photographers, can I buy another lens, will I have the lens I need with me when I need it, can I make what I did bring work. Let's not even get into flashes and flash triggers ... :unsure::cool:
Thanks Frank. My knees are feeling the strain too as well as my other joints. I can see the appeal of this lens but there is a limit to what I can carry so I have decided not to get the 70 to 200. I am really happy with what my 100 to 500 does for me.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back