Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bill Rinhart
City/State
Pearland, TX
I am wondering how many other shooters out there are nervous about the moving barrel of the RF 70-200mm lenses. For me, I shoot in often dusty, occasionally rainy, and humid environments. That is FFA events, sports, and various other events. My particular concern is that dust or moisture may get into the moving lens at some point.

I am a Gold CPS member and can send my equipment in to be cleaned yearly and get discounts for repair. I just don't want to run into performance issues because that lens is not sealed as well as the 70-200mm EF series.

The new RF version is a beast! It's lighter and supposedly outperforms the older EF predecessors. I truly want one, but it's a risk. I also have a 5DM4 as my backup, so I can swap as needed.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I am wondering how many other shooters out there are nervous about the moving barrel of the 70-200mm lenses. For me, I shoot in often dusty, occasionally rainy, and humid environments. That is FFA events, sports, and various other events. My particular concern is that dust or moisture may get into the moving lens at some point.

I am a Gold CPS member and can send my equipment in to be cleaned yearly and get discounts for repair. I just don't want to run into performance issues because that lens is not sealed as well as the 70-200mm EF series.

The new RF version is a beast! It's lighter and supposedly outperforms the older EF predecessors. I truly want one, but it's a risk. I also have a 5DM4 as my backup, so I can swap as needed.

Anyone else?
I cannot claim any lengthy experience with the RF 70-200mm (coming soon), or RF 100-500mm (my second and most used lens) but I did shoot the EF 28-300mm for almost 10 years and I only had it cleaned once in that time and it was just fine. All of my shooting was done in the Arizona desert (yes it does rain here too) and from dusty helicopters and their dust swirled landing zones. I am assuming the newer RF lenses are at the very least as weatherproof. I don't think it much of a risk. With your Gold CPS membership, I would think this not much of an issue. JMHO ;) (y)

I cannot claim any lengthy experience with the RF 70-200mm (coming soon), or RF 100-500mm (my second and most used lens) but I did shoot the EF 28-300mm for almost 10 years and I only had it cleaned once in that time and it was just fine. All of my shooting was done in the Arizona desert (yes it does rain here too) and from dusty helicopters and their dust swirled landing zones. I am assuming the newer RF lenses are at the very least as weatherproof. I don't think it much of a risk. With your Gold CPS membership, I would think this not much of an issue. JMHO ;) (y)
Thank you for your reply! My current plan is to wait to see how it fares over time. I realize that I am not alone with this concern and look forward to hearing feedback over say the next 2 years. My 70-200 f/2.8 MkIII is the most used lens in my bag (though I DO love my Sigma 120-300 f/28 for sports), so if I have an issue, I stand a chance to lose money. I just don't make enough to be down for that long.

I'm contemplating switching gears and adding wildlife to my list of specialties. I already know that answer to this, but I will ask. What's your take on the RF 100-500? Likes/dislikes...

Thank you for your reply! My current plan is to wait to see how it fares over time. I realize that I am not alone with this concern and look forward to hearing feedback over say the next 2 years. My 70-200 f/2.8 MkIII is the most used lens in my bag (though I DO love my Sigma 120-300 f/28 for sports), so if I have an issue, I stand a chance to lose money. I just don't make enough to be down for that long.

I'm contemplating switching gears and adding wildlife to my list of specialties. I already know that answer to this, but I will ask. What's your take on the RF 100-500? Likes/dislikes...
The RF 100-500mm is close to my most used lens for much of what I do. I even find it great for lose shots in good light as it focuses so close for such a long lens. I have some shots that look almost macro with this lens and some moon shots that are very satisfying. I also have the RF 1.4 Extender and it works well with this lens. If you look closely at the associated Metadata in the gallery here you will see it as a widely used lens.

Nice. I’m near Houston, TX (Pearland), so this summer I plan to get out to Galveston and Needville (Brazos Bend State Park) to work more on birds and alligators. I believe THAT lens will be helpful in achieving some great shots for it!

I shoot shoot far fewer portraits in the summer, so it’s a great opportunity to get out early and try something new!

I saw, in one of the FB groups I'm in, that someone has already sent in his copy to have the dust ring replaced. I can't find it for the life of me! I'll dig harder.

I am wondering how many other shooters out there are nervous about the moving barrel of the RF 70-200mm lenses. For me, I shoot in often dusty, occasionally rainy, and humid environments. That is FFA events, sports, and various other events. My particular concern is that dust or moisture may get into the moving lens at some point.

Anyone else?
Well I haven't shot with the new RF70-200 but I did a lot of shooting with the old 100-400L and never had any issues using that lens. Not sure if that helps at all.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back