Pat

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Pat Young
looking for them to get back in stock...I am seeing some great images with it

I am 72 later this week, so weight is becoming very important when out and about for hours at a time. And not just the camera and lens weight either. LOL I will give you and update after the weekend.

Thanks Brian. I'm a couple of years behind you but having had spinal decompression surgery not that long ago I'm probably ahead of you in ageing!

I have the RF800 and haven't had much of a chance to use it with lockdown.
But the times I have been able to get out I just love it. You will capture images that you would otherwise miss.
Weight.... you can walk about all day with this lens no problem and for under £1000 an 800mm lens it's a no brainer

Well. the good news is that my "loan and try" lens from Canon arrived a day early. The bad news is that it is the RF600 and not the RF800. (my fault it seems). Anyway, put it straight on the camera, went out into the garden and shot the first bird I saw. This was about 40 meters away. 1/800th @ f11 - ISO 250. Photo is SOOC. No cropping or tweaking what so ever. Going out to play tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see the capabilities in the hands of a wrinkly hobbyist. I have added a few more photos today. All are SOOC, uncropped and not tweaked.

Attachments

• RF 600mm.jpg
    RF 600mm.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 182
  • birds 600 trial-4.jpg
    birds 600 trial-4.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 163
  • birds 600 trial-3.jpg
    birds 600 trial-3.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 161
  • birds 600 trial.jpg
    birds 600 trial.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 156
  • birds 600 trial-2.jpg
    birds 600 trial-2.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Horse.jpg
    Horse.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
It'll be interesting to know whether DLA will become a factor. With the high megapixel you might sacrifice some sharpness but perhaps still worth it for those hard to capture shots of birds or other wildlife.

Excuse my ignorance..what does DLA stand for?
It'll be interesting to know whether DLA will become a factor. With the high megapixel you might sacrifice some sharpness but perhaps still worth it for those hard to capture shots of birds or other wildlife.

Well, I had three days of shooting with the RF600mm f11. I took (or tried to take) a few hundred photos. The short answer of whether I would buy or recommend the lens is a big fat no. It was pretty good with birds that were perched but I just couldn't get on with trying to capture birds in flight. Quite simply it was almost impossible to capture anything that was moving. I just couldn't get it to focus. That said, I have to accept that it was perhaps lack of experience/technique on my part as I have never shot with a lens longer that 300mm. I tried various set ups and even tried full automatic. Fv. Av, Tv and manual. But just couldn't find a way to photograph a moving bird. I had several opportunities of Kites and Buzzards which were gliding around in a clear blue sky and should have been easy. (I have lots taken with my 70-200 f2.8 that were keepers). But with the RF600 I failed miserably. There is a horse head photo I posted earlier and some other photos of birds sitting on branch that I posted on this thread over the weekend which were pretty good, but none of them were moving. Possibly if the lens was used in a set position (for example a hide)to take images of wildlife moving into a predictable place I might have had better luck. But as a walkabout for opportunity shots I have to give it a fail. I might try and get a RF100-500 off Canon for a weekend and see if it was me or the lens. LOL

Interesting to hear of your experience Brian, and thanks for letting us know. There are two issues that come to mind 1) The longer the lens the narrower the field of view so trying to find the subject is more difficult 2) getting the camera to lock focus on the bird which is going to be quite small in the frame I guess and not a lot of contrast.
All the photographs I have seen using the 800mm have been perched birds from what I recall although some togs must have taken flight shots too anyway I decided that I would go for the 100-500 because of it's versatility, it's "L" class build and the shots I have seen posted which look to be top notch. I haven't ordered a TC yet but will decide in due course.

Hi Dave, You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly the issue i was having. Possibly still a fair bit of operator error as well. But I have read somewhere that the focus point is only 20mm x 20mm.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back