PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our visits (in 2022) to the Garden at Stourhead, Wiltshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about the Garden at Stourhead by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. The garden at Stourhead, developed in the early 18th century, includes many classical architectural creations. The Bristol Cross (the oldest known structure in the care of the National Trust) was erected in 1373 in the centre of the medieval city of Bristol. It was moved to Stourhead in 1764.

RF-S-SG-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500

2. The Palladian Bridge with the Pantheon ('temple sacred to all the gods’) beyond - inspired by the Pantheon in Rome, it is the largest of the garden buildings.

RF-S-SG2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 96.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 320

3. The garden was the vision of Henry Hoare II – or 'Henry the Magnificent' – one of a small group of 'gentleman gardeners' who used their large estates (and wealth) to create a personal landscape.

RF-S-SG3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 500

4. It was created by a team of 50 gardeners who planted and tended beech, Spanish chestnut, oak, ash, sycamore and holm oak. When the garden opened in the 1740’s, it was described as ‘a living work of art’.

RF-S-SG4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

5. The garden’s creations include a Gothic Cottage, an ‘atmospheric grotto’ (which is quite dark inside so on wet days you can step into a deep, unseen puddle and drench your shoes) and The Temple of Flora - dedicated to the Roman goddess of flowers and spring, it was the first garden building to be added.

RF-S-SG5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 500

6. The Pantheon, The Temple of Apollo, built in honour of Apollo the sun god, which nestles on a hilltop (and is a popular venue for civil ceremonies) and The Palladian Bridge.

RF-S-SG6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 81.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 3200

(Sources: National Trust, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Beautiful images. Thanks for sharing.

Phil, these images are great, and I'm growing to expect nothing less from you. You may be setting the bar too high!

Phil, these images are great, and I'm growing to expect nothing less from you. You may be setting the bar too high!
Hi Mike,

Thank you for those very kind words - appreciated!

(We aim to please... :) ).

P&K

(Having said all that, I wasn't entirely comfortable with image 1 - one of my most re-edited shots - so another re-edit from today has been uploaded).

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Thank you for those very kind words - appreciated!

(We aim to please... :) ).

P&K

(Having said all that, I wasn't entirely comfortable with image 1 - one of my most re-edited shots - so another re-edit from today has been uploaded).
The updated version is better but still has strong editing footprints and is slightly darker than one would expect.

The updated version is better but still has strong editing footprints and is slightly darker than one would expect.
Hi Cemal,

Yes, I already feel another attempt coming on - I've never been entirely happy with any of my edits of this shot, including the latest one. There are a number of competing elements and I struggle to bring a cohesive finale together. (I think I made a mess of the sharpening this time which didn't help).

If anyone fancies a bash at the raw file, I'll make it available - though this probably won't be until Sunday-Monday as we have a bunch of stuff to sort out.

Phil

Hi Cemal,

Yes, I already feel another attempt coming on - I've never been entirely happy with any of my edits of this shot, including the latest one. There are a number of competing elements and I struggle to bring a cohesive finale together. (I think I made a mess of the sharpening this time which didn't help).

If anyone fancies a bash at the raw file, I'll make it available - though this probably won't be until Sunday-Monday as we have a bunch of stuff to sort out.

Phil
If it may help, I will be glad to take a stab at the RAW file when and if you want. Clearly, this will be based on my perception of the locale, lighting, details, etc. which may well be different from what they were when you were there. Let me know.

If it may help, I will be glad to take a stab at the RAW file when and if you want. Clearly, this will be based on my perception of the locale, lighting, details, etc. which may well be different from what they were when you were there. Let me know.
Hi Cemal,

Leave it with me, I’ll stick it in Dropbox and put a link here - a word of warning, if you think the edits had issues, the raw file will leave you despairing (my settings were a disaster movie)… 😀

Phil

Last edited:
Hi, when did you go, we went on Tuesday, we were a bit late arriving due to traffic in Bournemouth but we had 20 mins when the wind dropped and the sun came out, we retired to the Spread Eagle for lunch and a pint.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back