PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from a visit (last year) to Stourhead, Stourton, Warminster, Wiltshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can find out more about Stourhead by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Stourton Manor and estate had been home to the Stourton family for 500 years until they sold it to Sir Thomas Meres in 1714. His son, John Meres sold it to Henry Hoare I (son of Hoare’s Bank founder Sir Richard Hoare) in 1717.

RF-S-STH-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 42.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 160

2. Henry commissioned Scottish architect Colen Campbell to build Stourhead House in the Palladian-style. He died just before its completion, but his widow Jane continued to live here until her death in 1741.

RF-S-STH-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 640

3. It was inherited by Henry Hoare II (aka ‘Henry the Magnificent’) who then made changes to the house.

RF-S-STH-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 200

4. He built an impressive art collection including works from Poussin, Rysbrack and Bampfylde. (Much of this was sold off to cover debts in later years).

RF-S-STH-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 2500

5. He also began to make changes to the gardens and wider estate, including commissioning the 162 ft high King Alfred’s Tower (a viewpoint folly) in the 1760’s.

RF-S-STH-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

6. Stourhead house continued to be home to the Hoare family until the last surviving member, Sir Henry Hugh Arthur Hoare, gave the house and gardens to the National Trust in 1946.

RF-S-STH-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 100

The gardens at Stourhead, described as being ‘a living work of art’, will feature in a future post (in this thread, or elsewhere).

(Sources: National Trust, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Phil, I love looking at your photos because we also get a history lesson as well. Good stuff.

Phil, I love looking at your photos because we also get a history lesson as well. Good stuff.
Hi Kerro,

Cheers - much appreciated! :)

(We like to include some background blurb in the hope this adds interest - when we hear people are finding this is helpful that makes it all worthwhile).

P&K

Images from a visit (last year) to Stourhead, Stourton, Warminster, Wiltshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can find out more about Stourhead by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Stourton had been home to the Stourton family for 500 years until they sold it to Sir Thomas Meres in 1714. His son, John Meres sold it to Henry Hoare I (son of Hoare’s Bank founder Sir Richard Hoare) in 1717.

View attachment 21213

2. Henry commissioned Scottish architect Colen Campbell to build Stourton House in the Palladian-style. He died just before its completion, but his widow Jane continued to live here until her death in 1741.

View attachment 21214

3. It was inherited by Henry Hoare II (aka ‘Henry the Magnificent’) who then made changes to the house.

View attachment 21215

4. He built an impressive art collection including works from Poussin, Rysbrack and Bampfylde. (Much of this was sold off to cover debts in later years).

View attachment 21216

5. He also began to make changes to the gardens and wider estate, including commissioning the 162 ft high King Alfred’s Tower (a viewpoint folly) in the 1760’s.

View attachment 21217

6. Stourhead house continued to be home to the Hoare family until the last surviving member, Sir Henry Hugh Arthur Hoare, gave the house and gardens to the National Trust in 1946.

View attachment 21218

The gardens at Stourhead, described as being ‘a living work of art’, will feature in a future post (in this thread, or elsewhere).

(Sources: National Trust, Wikipedia).
Rich and richly detailed places, very nicely captured and presented. Thank you.

Phil, it's another amazing set and with great history. Thanks for the "tour".

Rich and richly detailed places, very nicely captured and presented. Thank you.
Hi Cemal,

Cheers - much appreciated.

I'll be posting some shots from around the grounds in due course (not entirely sure yet whether I'll put them here as 'living art' or elsewhere as flora).

Phil

Phil, it's another amazing set and with great history. Thanks for the "tour".
Hi Mike,

Cheers - appreciated!

As ever, our limited sample images can only scratch at the surface of the properties and grounds we visit (but we try to give it our best shot! :) ).

P&K

You had a good trip. Nice tones on the B&W. I've done similar to buildings in Europe, etc and those types of clouds sure make it more interesting.

You had a good trip. Nice tones on the B&W. I've done similar to buildings in Europe, etc and those types of clouds sure make it more interesting.
Hi Only RF,

Cheers - appreciated!

We stayed on site in the (small) National Trust campsite, so were able to prompt access the grounds - just keeping ahead of the maddening crowds.

We've been lucky with the sky on both of our visits here... :)

P&K

Lovely images P&K. The arched, stained glass window is stunning.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back