The Garden at Stourhead...

Hi, when did you go, we went on Tuesday, we were a bit late arriving due to traffic in Bournemouth but we had 20 mins when the wind dropped and the sun came out, we retired to the Spread Eagle for lunch and a pint.
Hi Nick,

We were there 28/29 October last year for the garden shots - a couple of the building shots were from September 2022 (so we just missed each other! :) ),

(We stayed in the on-site campsite).

What were the colours like this year?

P&K

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

We were there 28/29 October last year for the garden shots - a couple of the building shots were from September (so we just missed each other! :) ),

(We stayed in the on-site campsite).

What were the colours like this year?

P&K
Not quite there on Tuesday but I suspect the weather the last couple of days may have blown all the leaves away like last year was when we went. here is one of mine from Tuesday
fb Stourhead.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

Not quite there on Tuesday but I suspect the weather the last couple of days may have blown all the leaves away like last year was when we went. here is one of mine from TuesdayView attachment 21499
Hi Nick,

Fantastic! Absolutely beautiful - wonderful reflections too. :)

We had a mixture of wind, light rain and grey skies with snatches of harsh overhead light - but what a joy to behold!

We will return in the future for sure.

P&K

Cheers, had to wait for the moment (the whole trip was like that) but this was the 10-20 mins when you had to be ready :)

We had rain and wind and occasional sun but gave up at 11.30 ish and retired to the pub.

Just to help this was on the 31st of October this year, last year was the 11th of November and was far too late and this shot was on the 2nd of November and is my favourite trip after having not been able to go for a few years (since 2017) for various reasons!

[fb] Stourhead 2021c.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

If it may help, I will be glad to take a stab at the RAW file when and if you want. Clearly, this will be based on my perception of the locale, lighting, details, etc. which may well be different from what they were when you were there. Let me know.
For anyone who may be interested, the link to the raw file for Image #1 is Here.

(Probably - let me know if the share permission thingys needs adjusting).

I'll keep the file there for a few days (I have limited capacity on Dropbox).

And yes, I have already started on another re-edit… :)

Phil

Last edited:
For anyone who may be interested, the link to the raw file for Image #1 is Here.

(Probably - let me know if the share permission thingys needs adjusting).

I'll keep the file there for a few days (I have limited capacity on Dropbox).

And yes, I have already started on another re-edit… :)

Phil
As I said, I took a stab at it in Lightroom to see what I would have expected to see in the location and the photograph. I have the XMP file from Lightroom and a smaller JPEG file in my Dropbox. I did not post anything here, you decide on that, Phil. I will keep the files in Dropbox for a few days as well.

As I said, I took a stab at it in Lightroom to see what I would have expected to see in the location and the photograph. I have the XMP file from Lightroom and a smaller JPEG file in my Dropbox. I did not post anything here, you decide on that, Phil. I will keep the files in Dropbox for a few days as well.
Hi Cemal,

Thank you for processing the file (I trust you had some fun!). I've downloaded the jpeg/xmp and will have a look - feel free to post it here (at your discretion).

My recollections of that morning are a little hazy now but I believe this was my first shot of the day, a 'quick snap' (to provide an overview) as we were hurrying to get our first planned shot - across the lake from down by the bridge - ahead of the influx of other visitors (who were close behind!). The Bristol Cross is quite a dark structure - time and weather worn. The light was quite poor, it was overcast (though the sky was annoyingly bright in a few areas) and it was raining lightly on and off. In summary - pretty grim.

With my edits for this shot I've tried to emphasise the drama of the sullen skies and the vibrant colours of the majestic gardens. My latest effort - and the very last (well, for now!) has been uploaded as image #1 in the original post. I've tried to go a little easier on the grimness this time around... :)

(For this edit I used the TK-9 Panels to produce masking for the sky, foreground and architectural features - and 'brushed in' sharpening using a layer/ mask).

[Feedback: Having reviewed your edit I would say an interesting choice of settings, general comment would be on my system it looks too bright overall and the tower far lighter than it is reality. (Of course, I have the huge advantage of having seen it up close!). A very worthwhile exercise though and I will study your settings in more detail and compare them to mine in due course (though mine spanned multiple apps). Your time, efforts and talents are all much appreciated!].

Phil

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back