Followers
Following
Name
Yang Mills
City/State
East Anglia, UK
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I don't shoot much sport other than equestrian. Here are a couple from last year's Badminton event that I have just re-edited, chosen for the riders' expressions:
R_5_6996v2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF70-200mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
  • 228.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 400

R_5_7263.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF70-200mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
  • 280.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1250

Great images, and those expressions are awesome. I would love the start shooting some equestrian events. Need to find some around me.

Great images, and those expressions are awesome. I would love the start shooting some equestrian events. Need to find some around me.
Thanks for that. I enjoy all sorts of equestrian sport, especially since you can get really close to the action in cross country, racing, polo (well, when the ball’s nearby), and some of the more bizarre kinds of events like horse-boarding, so you don’t need massive reach.

By the way the guy in the second shot missed the next jump, which is in the water at right angles to the water entry, and he already knows he’s going to miss it as he’s come in at the wrong angle. A second later:

Overshot.jpg

Last edited:
what focus method?

I'm a little jealous because I have to drive a long way for cross country. Unfortunately, only jumping and dressage takes place in our region.

btw: Great pictures!! :)

We have two five-star three day events in the UK.- Badminton where these were taken and Burghley. Actually Burlghey is much closer and I’ve been there in previous years. But we also have a cross country course that hosts slightly less prestigious eventing as well as lots of point to point and both jumps and flat racing locally. So lots of opportunities for shooting equestrian events.

ETA: corrected spelling of Burghley.

Last edited:
I've been photographing tournaments for 20 years, but I live in a corner where equestrian sport is a minor matter. So I had about 10 tournaments a year where I didn't have to drive that far. Occasionally I went on to support colleagues or to do press work, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Unfortunately, we don't have cross country at all. There was a derby once a year, but unfortunately that hasn't happened for two years. :cry:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back