dmanthree

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Manzi
For those of you who have the 24-240, and shoot it on an R5, well, are you satisfied? I'm considering it for travel use. I don't expect the same results as an L lens, but what's your opinion?

I have both the RF 24-240 and the RF 24-105 L. I think the L lens is maybe, probably, better, but honestly, it’s very close. There simply is not much in it. The constant f4.0 aperture is a benefit, both from a bokeh and exposure standpoint, but my R5 photos look so good even at moderately high ISO settings that the f4 aperture is really not that great an advantage.

So, I used my RF24-105 L for my family Christmas portrait, but on my last trip to Toronto in October ‘22 to visit family up there, plus sightseeing, I traveled with my R5, RF 24-240 and RF 14-35 L. Similarly, for my trip to Europe (Northern Italy and Southern France) next month I’ll be traveling with the same setup.

Chris

I have both the RF 24-240 and the RF 24-105 L. I think the L lens is maybe, probably, better, but honestly, it’s very close. There simply is not much in it. The constant f4.0 aperture is a benefit, both from a bokeh and exposure standpoint, but my R5 photos look so good even at moderately high ISO settings that the f4 aperture is really not that great an advantage.

So, I used my RF24-105 L for my family Christmas portrait, but on my last trip to Toronto in October ‘22 to visit family up there, plus sightseeing, I traveled with my R5, RF 24-240 and RF 14-35 L. Similarly, for my trip to Europe (Northern Italy and Southern France) next month I’ll be traveling with the same setup.

Chris
Funny, that's my thinking, as well. Love the 14-35! Yes, it needs correction, but so what? It's excellent.

I travel for work about 6 months out of the year, and while I have the R6 vice the R5 I normally take just one lens and that is the RF 24-240. If I do take a second lens, depending on my weekend plans, it is the RF 4-35L. This combo covers just about everything that I want to do. I did bring the RF 100-400 when I visited the San Diego Safari Park, but that has been the only time I have carried more than just the two. I think you will more than happy with that combo.

I also have 24-240 and 24-105 f/4. I am not a pixel-peeper, so to me over the common focal lengths I am not aware of any major differences. However, one thing to note about the 24-240 is that is it heavy for a walk-around lens. Of course if the comparison is to the 24-105 f/4 plus the 70-200 f/4 as your travel kit, then perhaps the 24-240 is not so heavy after all.

I have the 24-240 and love it! I use it most of the time and I am sort of a nut on sharpness. Took it to Europe last fall as my only lens-Never needed anything else!! Couple of times I took 2 shots to stitch together. Worked perfectly!! I have read where one fella complained at 24mm the edges were just a bit distorted- I have not found that to be the case-One can pick anything apart but this lens to me is super!! Good luck!

I have an R6 that lives with the 24-240mm on it. It's my grab and go package when I jump into the car to run errands and want something "just in case". Outside of significant vignetting at 24mm (which turning on Lens Profile Correction fixes in Lightroom) I can't think of one thing I've seen with it where I said, "Oooh, that's not good". Great value lens for everyday shooting.

I like the RF 24-240mm as a general purpose lens, despite its shortcomings, because of its versatility. It may be a bit chunky but it's lighter than my EF 70-200 F4 L, which used to be accompanied by an EF 24-70 F4 L (both now traded-in). I'm going for the simple (& lighter) life these days when out-and-about - I've an RF 16mm for wider shots.

The RF 24-240 is my go to lens in this focal length range. I find it renders excellent results and I don't notice any problems since most software now corrects any deficiencies through the lens profile. I also have the RF 16mm f2.8 which is again, superb. These two lenses make and excellent all purpose travel kit.

The RF 24-240 is my go to lens in this focal length range. I find it renders excellent results and I don't notice any problems since most software now corrects any deficiencies through the lens profile. I also have the RF 16mm f2.8 which is again, superb. These two lenses make and excellent all purpose travel kit.
That's the kit I'm thinking of taking to London. It's a family vacation, not a photo safari and I don't want to drive them crazy waiting while I'm constantly swapping lenses.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back