out of focus

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Johnny
From Canon's website, I've downloaded the most recent firmware (version 1.0.8) for the RF 24-70mm lens and have extracted the files, but each time that I've tried it, I get a message stating that Adobe Acrobat Reader can't open the .afu file.
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if there's a way around the problem.

Yeah, I don't think that I'll be reinstalling Acrobat Reader because of this. I'm going to try something like Foxit PDF Reader and see how that does.

Yeah, I don't think that I'll be reinstalling Acrobat Reader because of this. I'm going to try something like Foxit PDF Reader and see how that does.
Hi Johnny,

Sorry to read you're having issues with the f/w update (updates always carry a certain level of anxiety without any additional snags).

Regardless of how your Windows system recognises the '*.afu' file, there is no need (or purpose) in trying to read it with your PC - the file is meant to be used by your camera to install the update to the attached lens.

Given this, as Dean suggested, have you tried just copying the '*.afu' file to the root of an SD card and following the update procedure as outlined in the pdf instructions? (i.e. Can the camera read the f/w update file?).

(I can't see why your PC system would change the 'afu' file extension, which is what the camera will look for when it carries out the update, even though Adobe Acrobat wants to treat it as an associated/ readable file).

It may be the update will work if you follow it through? :)

Phil

Last edited:
(I can't see why your PC system would change the 'afu' file extension, which is what the camera will look for when it carries out the update, even though Adobe Acrobat wants to treat it as an associated/ readable file).
Hi Phil,

The only way this can happen is if you attempt to open the .afu file using Acrobat Reader. At that point Adobe associates the AUF extension as an Acrobat file.

Mistakes happened and the world survived. I haven't discover how to re-associate the AUF file back to the original file type, as your computer can easily reassociate it, but it needs to know what to associate it with! I never found any information on the Canon USA website (forums/support/knowledgebase).

Hi Phil,

The only way this can happen is if you attempt to open the .afu file using Acrobat Reader. At that point Adobe associates the AUF extension as an Acrobat file.

Mistakes happened and the world survived. I haven't discover how to re-associate the AUF file back to the original file type, as your computer can easily reassociate it, but it needs to know what to associate it with! I never found any information on the Canon USA website (forums/support/knowledgebase).
Hi Dean,

Bear with me as I use a Mac for most stuff (and I’m lost in a sea of chaos with that much of the time), with my Windows PC reserved for gaming (the same comment applies).

Is it the case that Adobe Acrobat has renamed ‘Updatefile.afu’ to ‘Updatefile.pdf’ and it can’t be changed back? If so, 😮.

If not, and it’s still ‘Updatefile.afu’, despite the fact that Adobe Acrobat wants to hug it on the PC, why can’t the file be copied to an SD card so the camera can use it to carry out the f/w update?

Perhaps I‘m missing something, but the good news is - dinner’s ready… :)

Phil

Once the computer tags an file extension as "Open With..." it remains that way until you tell to associate the file extension with a different program, that is, "Open with..." something else.

I image this is true no matter which OS you use: Windows, iOS, Linux, Unix, TRSDOS, or any other OS.

By the way....why can't I purchase Walker's Pure Butter Shortbread "Highland Cow" in the US? I'm all out!

Once the computer tags an file extension as "Open With..." it remains that way until you tell to associate the file extension with a different program, that is, "Open with..." something else.

I image this is true no matter which OS you use: Windows, iOS, Linux, Unix, TRSDOS, or any other OS.

By the way....why can't I purchase Walker's Pure Butter Shortbread "Highland Cow" in the US? I'm all out!
Hi Dean,

There are many things which will forever remain an unexplained mystery to me - computers, football, the fairer sex, life…

(I try not to think about it too much).

Good luck to the OP - perhaps, if they find the answer, they’ll come back and let us all know? (One less thing to ponder).

Phil

Hi, Dean and Phil
Once I uninstalled Acrobat Reader, the file appeared as it's supposed to and I updated the firmware without any problem. I'm just going to try to use something else like Foxit PDF Reader that Dean had mentioned and see how that does for reading .pdf. Since making the change resolved the issue, I think that it's a fairly minor adjustment.

Hi, Dean and Phil
Once I uninstalled Acrobat Reader, the file appeared as it's supposed to and I updated the firmware without any problem. I'm just going to try to use something else like Foxit PDF Reader that Dean had mentioned and see how that does for reading .pdf. Since making the change resolved the issue, I think that it's a fairly minor adjustment.
Hi Johnny,

Great to hear you got everything sorted, thank you for posting the update (your solution may help others).

Technology eh? :LOL:

Phil

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back