Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Have a good friend who enjoys my storm photography and other general shots.

Said hey mate you wouldnt like to take some outdoor wedding photos for us would you?

I said nah not that good its your special day well second time actually.

Divorced lost the shirt of his back etc etc no much coin at moment.
He said we cant really afford a proper photographer, doesnt have to be expert quality only 20 people in attendance.

So hes gonna try a few others and get back to me.

Or should i help a mate out and just do best i can.
R6ii 70/200 2.8 L 24/70 2.8 L no flash but maybe not needed as early afternoon, probably got good enough gear to fluke a few good ones but not the experience

Any of you guys get asked things like this.
Got asked to do a horse show a while back as practice but thats a bit different i did do that was fun and challenging

I think as long as expectations are set before the wedding then no issue. I did one for a friend, and explained before hand i am just a keen amateur not a pro, and they were happy with that, turns out they were happy with the shots i took as well, this was a small wedding.

i guess seeing m a guest at the wedding anyway not to hard.
box of beer fine but same time kick in the nuts for pro photographer maybe i respect all pro photographers and those who cant afford em, and guys like me yeah i will help ya ouyt mate dont expect to much

Lot less risk nowadays with digital. I did two s-in-l weddings back in early 90s with no meter on film. Hadnt a clue what I had until they came back from the lab!. #goodolddays.

I struggle with landscapes, I can't imagine photographing people...much less a wedding! But that me.

Probably ok if he has not other recourse, just as others have said, make sure expectations are managed. And try to avoid a scenario like my sister-in-law’s wedding, where the groom’s uncle (retired engineer turned photographer) volunteered his service as a wedding gift. He took all the formal shots on the altar of the church with a semicircular floral arrangement right behind my sister-in-law’s head, so it looked like the marriage of the Statue of Liberty…

Have a good friend who enjoys my storm photography and other general shots.

Said hey mate you wouldnt like to take some outdoor wedding photos for us would you?

I said nah not that good its your special day well second time actually.

Divorced lost the shirt of his back etc etc no much coin at moment.
He said we cant really afford a proper photographer, doesnt have to be expert quality only 20 people in attendance.

So hes gonna try a few others and get back to me.

Or should i help a mate out and just do best i can.
R6ii 70/200 2.8 L 24/70 2.8 L no flash but maybe not needed as early afternoon, probably got good enough gear to fluke a few good ones but not the experience
Been there, done that against my will. Not for me and never again.

Been there, done that against my will. Not for me and never again.

Been there, done that a few times over the years. I have been lucky so far...... But there was once that I was told to be a backup photographer and ended up being the primary. Another couple actually liked my set rather than the paid one after their ceremony which was a bit embarrassing. I am not saying that I am any good in wedding photography, but taking pictures as a guest without any pressure has its advantage. But to be honest, it was an exhausting experience every single time.

but taking pictures as a guest without any pressure has its advantage.
This reminded me of a time I took pictures (not photographs) of a couples wedding, my wife and I are still dear friends with.

Using Microsoft Movie Maker I assembled the pictures in various sequences and added musical soundtracks, various downloaded video clip and made a DVD for them....I even had a blooper/out-takes reel at the end. They loved it and still talk about it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back