Weddings and a No from me

This reminded me of a time I took pictures (not photographs) of a couples wedding, my wife and I are still dear friends with.

Using Microsoft Movie Maker I assembled the pictures in various sequences and added musical soundtracks, various downloaded video clip and made a DVD for them....I even had a blooper/out-takes reel at the end. They loved it and still talk about it.

That's the thing, I did the optimisation, cropping and editing in Lightroom for my each of the photos that I took where as some of the hired pros probably just do a batch conversion (if they actually be bothered). That makes the difference I guess. I don't know how much that these pros are charging these days, but their qualities do vary a lot from what I saw.

I shot weddings back in the film days. So...no. Never again, even though digital makes it easier in some ways. Just a total PITA shooting weddings.

I have shot 3 or 4 weddings in my time for friends and family. My last one, about 2 years ago, was from my point of view a total disaster. Nothing would go right, focus was off, the light was wrong, you name it. I ended up trashing over half my photos that day. Another one I took maybe 3000 photos and it was fine. The friends loved the photos. Even the Brides Mum and Dad liked them. I always tell them not to expect too much as I am only an amatuer. Luckily I am too old to do weddings now.

Tell him he will get what he pays for. Yes that happened to me. I said no repeatedly and finally caved. I took 6 months to prepare , primarily on how to use the flash correctly. It actually was an interesting experience. It forced me to learn about flash photography. Something I always feared because I didn’t understand it. Sure it took decent images but what happens when I’m shooting an event and things don’t go right.

That is a big part. If something goes wrong you need to dig yourself out of a hole quickly. There is no tomorrow.

I went well and eventually he became my event shooting partner. We did about 20 weddings and then I pulled the plug. To much pressure and not enough money. We were budget wedding photogs and we made that clear to clients. Look at our work. If you want $10,000 wedding shots hire a $10,000 photographer. He was 25 years younger than me but we became friends at work because of photography. He shot Canon too.

What I found. The technical side was OK but the hardest thing I found was posing people. There are the 20-30 money shots which I’d study in a Friday night and forget 75% of them by Saturday morning. Pro photography is like a job. You build a routine and over time with experience it becomes second nature. Shooting a wedding once a month was just not enough, for me anyway.

It’s demanding, especially when you know a lot of people at the event. I’m trying to concentrate on my job and people we have not seen for a while wanted to chat. The break driving from ceremony to a shooting location was such a nice break. 10-15 minutes but that little break was like heaven.

What did I learn? I gained a whole new respect for working pros. I have to admit I felt a little bad knowing I was taking work from them. We did it to earn a little side money for photo gear but it still was not worth it. We got $750 each for the job but add a week of editing post event as well. Leave it to the pros.

Have done a few family / friends weddings over the years, 'vowed' I would never do another, unbelievably stressful (you only get one chance to catch 'that look / expression' you can't retake it or set it up later.)

Year before last I lost a close work colleague - his daughter was due to get married and after the funeral they had little funds left so I did it as a favour to his wife and daughter - explained before hand that I was NOT a people person but I would do my very best for them. My wife and I gave them nearly a 1000 processed photo's which they absolutely loved and they insisted on paying us £500 for (we donated it to my late friends favourite charity).

If you explain to them that this is not your thing and they understand that - do it to the best of your ability and don't doubt yourself. Just my opinion ;-)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back