What’s In My Camera?

Welcome to our Canon RF Shooters Forum

Be apart of something great, join today!

SwampGrizz

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2025
Posts
515
Likes Received
616
Points
93
Name
Dale Yawn
City/State
Savannah, Ga.
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Every now and then I get bored and go exploring in my R50 camera menus. I go poke around in all the nooks and crannies where I don’t usually go, like the creative filters mode, the scenes mode, and a few others. I normally live in the lands of P, Tv, Av, and M, so it’s fun to visit other neighborhoods every so often. Remember that the R50 is a beginners camera slanted towards folks that want a little more than a camera phone, but don’t want to give up the cool little things a phone can do. That said, it’s a capable little camera that can take some fine photos. I’m not familiar with any of the higher end R series cameras, so I don’t know if they have any of the creative filters/scene modes or not. Some of these modes are practical, and some are actually fun. The fisheye mode and the miniature effect modes take photos that the kids like, and the HDR mode is handy, but the toy camera and the water painting effect modes are just weird. Why did they include a mode that purposefully takes a crappy photo? The toy camera mode says it’s intended to replicate the old photo “vibe” with strange colors and bad vignettes. Why not just buy a cheap toy camera in the first place? I guess this is my old curmudgeon rant, and I understand that there are different strokes for different folks, but I don’t get it. Maybe I should just stay in my own neighborhood. Gotta go, it’s time for my nap.
 
I have to nap a few times a day as well because at my age I don't sleep at night anymore. I nap as well.

I don't use any type of in camera effects. Not my thing. Basics to get the shot. I'm not sure LrC would recognize them anyway. I've never owned high end cameras as in reference to 1DX or R1/3 but I'm pretty sure they offer these things the same as prosumer models like the R5/II, etc do. I currently have an R6III. I'm not much into effects or filters in post either. I only use the colour filters extensively for my B&W conversions. Otherwise I may use point colour (which I think is similar to U Point in DXO) to enhance a specific colour a bit. I'll save all that fancy stuff for the day I can't get out anymore. At the rate things are going I'll be able to change a donkey into a unicorn in space by uttering one simple command. :) or 😱
 
RF, I'm not into effects either. As I read back over my post, I probably came off like a grouch. Didn't mean to. I can take crappy photos all on my own without the aid of a dedicated mode to help me. What I need to understand is that people are looking to go back to simpler things, and that nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just because I stay in the P, Tv, Sv, and M universe doesn't mean everybody else has to. Didn't mean to cast off on those that may use those effects modes, its just that they aren't my cup of tea. You should see some of my early attempts at editing in LR. I jacked up every slider I could get my hands on. I soon learned that less is more.

Let me know when you change the donkey into a unicorn. I would like to see that.
 
I just got up from my nap, and...

My S.O. want's a camera but of course it can't be heavy. I'm trying to convince her to at least pick up an R50 to feel it. My original R with 24-70mm is a BEAST for her to lug around. She has been looking at a Kodak Pixpro AZ405 Digital camera...because, it comes in Red.

Some people *might* say that I have explored my camera and lenses. I think the last time I chose Effects was by putting a Starburst or 1x, 2x and 3x "macro" for film years and years ago. Of course, now days it's ND, Polarizer and Red #25 (for film).

Toy camera mode (weird) for poor quality photos? I'd rather create my own for the same reason I don't shoot JPEG or in AUTO-mode. You might remember my 15 shot horizontal stitched panorama...however, that was a Holga lens. 😁

15H-4P9A9212-Pano.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 
Dean,
Tell her to give the R50 a try. She can always paint it.

Here you go. Toy Camera Mode, SOOC.
Cool, Standard, and Warm Tones. Please pay particular attention to the superb composition, the imaginative subject choice, and the expert framing. These photos really convey the sense of a man's small place in the universe. I would add more, but I've run out of BS for the moment.

IMG_6919.JPG
  • Join to view EXIF data.
IMG_6920.JPG
  • Join to view EXIF data.
IMG_6921.JPG
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 
Okay,
Here's some more serious art photography. Please give these the silent reverence that they so richly deserve. I'm waiting on the Louvre to get back to me.

This is Water Painting Effect. SOOC, and all I can tell is that it just washes the photo out. This is even worse than the toy effect.

IMG_6922.JPG
  • Join to view EXIF data.
IMG_6923.JPG
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 

Latest reviews

  • Canon EOS R50
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Beginner's Camera, and a Very Good Enthusiasts Camera
    The R50 is a fine entry level/beginner/casual stills camera. It is not a pro level camera, but would be fine for hiking, street, family photos...
    • SwampGrizz
  • Canon EOS R6
    5.00 star(s)
    A nice camera specially if you want to save some money
    I bought the Canon R6 in 2024 to replace my Canon R7. After researching the market, I decided to go with the R6 instead of the R6 Mark II. Why not...
    • ctitanic
  • Prime Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Long Story Short Review
    10 years ago.....yes I said it was a long story! Canon sent me an EF 50mm f1.2 for a lens evaluation. On my 5D Mark III it was rather amazing. A...
    • GaryM
Back
Top